Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the past I have been having some major voltage drops while driving and some frequent "almost stalls". Put it out of my mind. Today I start the car and drive it under my carport to do some detail work. I started by cleaning the interior and installing a new cup holder. I then switched to washing the car. I washed under the hood with my wash mitt and light pressure water. I washed the rest of the car and went inside to relax. After the sun went down a bit I went back outside to clean the interior glass. This was at least 7 hours after I finished washing the car. While I was cleaning the glass I adjusted the steering wheel down to better give me access to the lower windshield. I also saw the Security light flashing. After I was finished I tried to lock the car up and call it a night. The lock buttons would not work. I tried with the RKE fob and that didn't work either. I put a test light on the battery and it lit very dim. The interior lights were on but very dim also. So what just happened? Has my 7 year old battery finally bit the dust? I have never had a battery bite the dust so quickly and in this manner. I do not have a volt gauge to test the level of charge in the battery. All I have is a Battery Tender Jr that I use for my motorcycle. I currently have it hooked to the battery to see what happens in the morning. Oh before someone asks. When I turn the key to on absolutely nothing happens. The only thing working in the car right now is the interior lights and they are very dim. Thanks

Don

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
Don, batteries don't seem to die a slow death like they used to. They seem to have sudden and fatal heart attacks. I think that is what happened to yours. Being 7 years old it was due and as the old Guru used to say, "It doesn't owe you a dime". R.I.P.

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
So in the past I have been having some major voltage drops while driving and some frequent "almost stalls". Put it out of my mind.
This is not exactly 'out of nowhere'; you ignored some early warning signs.

You could have your battery load tested, but I'm not sure the process is worth the effort given the age of your battery. And you certainly need a replacement battery.

Be aware that low system voltage causes various modules to flag trouble codes in error. After the battery situation is corrected, I recommend you display and clear all your system Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

Here is how to do that
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/172511-how-pull-codes-98-04-sevilles.html

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I didn't exactly ignore the warning signs. I posted them on here and was pretty much told to ignore the voltage drops and wasn't led anywhere with the almost stalling. I figured my battery was dying but figured I would wait it out. Considering the events that lead up to the dead battery, I was just wondering if there was something else to look at. I was prepared to buy a new battery months ago, and I guess I will tomorrow. I just hate having to pay the over priced dealer for this battery. I figure it is going to be somewhere around $150. It just seemed very strange that 10 minutes before I couldn't lock the doors that the steering wheel moved and the security light was flashing.

Don

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
Well I didn't exactly ignore the warning signs. I posted them on here and was pretty much told to ignore the voltage drops....
I sure as hell hope I was not part of the thread that suggested you ignore anything.

Ante up the $150 and clear all your codes. Life will improve.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
It WILL be around $150 Don, but it won't be much cheaper anywhere else. Mine died a sudden death this last winter while on a snowmobiling trip in Northern Wisc. It was replaced under warranty by a GM dealer in Eagle River, but it got me thinking about my daughters which is a year older and she decided to not take any chances and have me replace it. I think the best price I could find was $137.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It WILL be around $150 Don, but it won't be much cheaper anywhere else. Mine died a sudden death this last winter while on a snowmobiling trip in Northern Wisc. It was replaced under warranty by a GM dealer in Eagle River, but it got me thinking about my daughters which is a year older and she decided to not take any chances and have me replace it. I think the best price I could find was $137.
It sucks that it will cost that much, but it does last at least 7 years, so not too bad. I should have been proactive and just bought a new one last year when symptoms started to appear.

Don

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
Worst part is that the only difference is the vents. My daughters was 7 years old and showed no signs of failure (but they seldom do anymore).

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,016 Posts
My original battery was built in 10/01, so during a dealer warranty job in 11/07 I had them install a new ACDelco, although there was currently nothing wrong with the original. 6 years on a lead-acid battery is pushing it. No matter who makes it. Maintenance free or not.

After reading this thread and going back through Dadillac's thread link, MY 2002 starts cold at fast idle 1200, slows to 850 after 40 seconds, and to 650 at a minute or so. The system voltage immediately ramps up to 14.6 to 14.8 volts, and as the battery comes back to full charge, ramps down to 14.2 or so and stays exactly there. On a recent trip to Norfolk and back, day/night, AC on/off, GPS and weather radio the voltage did not vary over 0.1 volt.

Many don't understand that a "12 volt" car battery is fully charged at 12.6 volts, no loads applied, and dead at 11.9 -12 volts. These cars have a staggering amperage draw with the engine off and doors open. And we all know that the battery dies in 2 - 3 weeks of storage due to parasitic draw of 20 - 35 mA. SO, it's a good thing to hook up a 3 amp "battery maintainer" while you're detailing or leaving the car for a period. Now you know why there's always a jump starter sitting out between the new cars at your dealer: All the batteries are dead.

This is getting long-winded, but Google "surrette battery", "rolls battery", "xantrex" or "guest battery charger" to read up on lead-acid battery charging and technology.

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
Dadillac, Seven years on a battery boy were you on borrowed time. I replaced mine in both my 2000 and 2002 at 6 years even though I was experiencing no problems. When I was searching for the best price on a new AC Delco battery the best price that I found were The AC Delco parts warehouses. Find your local one by going to ACDelco.com and use the "find a parts store" tool the best price I could find when I bought one last year was $107.95 .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts