Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Crimson Pearl DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy cow, what an adventure a Cadillac can be.

My "Service Charging System" light has been coming on intermittently for the last couple of weeks on my 00 DeVille DTS, it would go on to say the the battery was not charging. For a while the battery would be at a lower voltage (never lower then 11.0) and then it would be back up to a normal level (around 14v)...

Tonight while driving it the battery completely stopped charging and the voltage went down to 7.1... It shut down almost everything along the way... The lights were barely on (not to mention the interior gauges had gone flat, even the mileage stopped keeping track???).

I have a friend who is knowledgeable about cars - he believes that it is my alternator as the battery has now accepted a charge, but does not appear to want to hold it with the car running, even while revving the engine. :crying:

How hard is it to replace an alternator? Where is it even at? Is this something I can do myself? Should I start with a battery? I appreciate all of your help and support. :banghead:

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Yes, owning a cadillac is an adventure to say the least. Lets start with the simple things to check.

Battery terminals- check them for corrosion, if they are pretty bad the battery may not be getting its charge because of it. You can buy a terminal cleaner for 5 bucks, or just take a wire brush and give the terminals a good cleaning.

Battery cables0 check to see that they aren't corroded and the insulation is good. Check the cable coming from the alternator as well, it could be damaged and not getting the charge to the battery.

The alternator itself is most likely gone bad. Its not hard to find, its run off the serpentine belt and has a see through housing, you will see the copper wire inside of it and the cable going to the battery. Its not hard to change, you just have to get the belt tension right after you put the new one in.

You can also have the battery load tested for very cheap to see if that is the problem, but I am betting its time for a new alternator.

·
Registered
2000 Crimson Pearl DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery looks good and holds a charge...

Any reccomendation on an alternator to put in? Are their aftermarket alternators that work better then stock, is it best to just replace it with what is comig out?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Not really any point in upgrading it unless you plan to run some huge subs, napa usually has good alternators, never had a problem with one.

·
Registered
2000 Crimson Pearl DTS
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So we think that we have found the alternator, it appears to be on the front passanger side near the bottom of the engine? Is this correct?

Does anyone have a diagram of the N* engine for the 2000 DeVille or know where I can find one?

Looking at it - it seems that we would have to remove the radiator to get to it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,979 Posts
That's where it is. You might get at it throught the wheel well.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood FWD / 2000 ETC / 2000 STS / 2006 STS V-8 1SF RWD
475 Posts
Hello...

Keep in mind that this particular alternator is water-cooled-
(yes, there are 5/8" hose nipples on the back of the alternator).

(What was GM thinking? This design only lasted for a few model years.)

FWIW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts