Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Deville 4.6 Base model. Battery not charging is not displayed. Yet I have to charger the battery with a charger everytime I drive it. I took the negative cable off the battery with the car running and it continues to run which makes me question wether there is an alternator problem. My car battery can't stay hooked up because the dash lights won't go off. The dash reads Service Security System. Now my question is, why is my batteries and I've tried two of them not charging? My volt meter says they are both at 12.66 volts. Why won't PRNDL go off the dash? And if the alternator is working why is the battery not charging? Is it because the security system needs servicing because even though I have to unhook the battery everytime I drive it it stayed up all Summer like that. Why won't it charge a battery now? I know I should have my alternator tested but I really don't think thats the problem.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,690 Posts
Have you pulled codes? post them here with their definitions. A battery drain can cause all kinds of gremlins on these cars. Your 12.66 volts--engine off or engine running? If engine running and good alternator you should be seeing 14v or over. Regarding the security system, have you recently changed or altered the radio system?

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,679 Posts
This sounds ;like an ignition switch/tumbler issue, if the dash lights ( I assume you mean the instrument lamps) won't go off, maybe the ignition switch isn't turning off.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Deville
24 Posts
I have a 2004 Deville 4.6 Base model. Battery not charging is not displayed. Yet I have to charger the battery with a charger everytime I drive it. I took the negative cable off the battery with the car running and it continues to run which makes me question wether there is an alternator problem. My car battery can't stay hooked up because the dash lights won't go off. The dash reads Service Security System. Now my question is, why is my batteries and I've tried two of them not charging? My volt meter says they are both at 12.66 volts. Why won't PRNDL go off the dash? And if the alternator is working why is the battery not charging? Is it because the security system needs servicing because even though I have to unhook the battery everytime I drive it it stayed up all Summer like that. Why won't it charge a battery now? I know I should have my alternator tested but I really don't think thats the problem.

have you tired turning off the twlight switch.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
If PRND321 is stuck on your ignition switch is probably at fault, causing the car to think that it is in "ACC" position. This will drain the battery. However, you might also have some other electrical issues or charging issues. Dead batteries don't usually cause "Battery Not Charging" message, it's almost always a fault with the alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts