Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 CTS Vsport Black Tricoat/black, 16 Escalade Premium Lux Gray on Kona.
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It may just be me, but the bass in my 06 STS is very lacking. My last car was an Infiniti I30 and it had a factory Bose rear deck subwoofer that put out much more bass than this car, yet I have no idea why. I can turn the bass all the way up and while the sound is very clear, there is absolutely no kick to it. My dads I35 has more bass in its stock system, as does my moms 05 Grand Prix GT with Monsoon. For such an expensive option radio I would figure it would give out amazing bass considering it is DD/DTS as well. Is there an easy way to add a sub to the stock system? My Infiniti had a line-out adapter that plugged into the auxilary jack in the back of the head unit (not high-level, those suck) and gave a clean signal to add an auxilary subwoofer. I don't want to go crazy like the 2 Alpine Type R with MB Quart 1000wrms amp (still in my garage if anyone wants to make a bid..), but I would like something sealed 10" or so 100wrms - 200wrms for CLEAN bass. I don't want to just start tearing stuff apart but the lack of bass in such an expensive car is ridiculous.

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
06 Cadillac STS
352 Posts
I think the bass is more than adequate; however, I'm not one of those people that like to shake the area around me and annoy passengers in adjacent cars either.

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
517 Posts
I'll take all the Bass I can get...

What I don't finish I'll stick in the garage freezer for later...:excited:

·
Registered
1 Posts
It may just be me, but the bass in my 06 STS is very lacking ... For such an expensive option radio I would figure it would give out amazing bass considering it is DD/DTS as well. Is there an easy way to add a sub to the stock system? My Infiniti had a line-out adapter that plugged into the auxilary jack in the back of the head unit (not high-level, those suck) and gave a clean signal to add an auxilary subwoofer. I don't want to go crazy like the 2 Alpine Type R with MB Quart 1000wrms amp (still in my garage if anyone wants to make a bid..), but I would like something sealed 10" or so 100wrms - 200wrms for CLEAN bass. I don't want to just start tearing stuff apart but the lack of bass in such an expensive car is ridiculous.

Thanks for your help in advance!
I agree nguyendot. I have the 2005 1SG AWD and I would like to replace all of the speakers and amps. My previous car also had two sealed JL Audio 10W6 subwoofers and MB Quart separates on all four coroners. The stock speakers in the STS can't touch that sound quality.

I would have rather not gone with a stock radio, but that's what came with the STS package. Has anyone else looked into replacing the speakers and amps in the system that came with the 1SG.

My STS deserves better sound!

·
Registered
364 Posts
i being in my mid-forties think the 15 speaker bose system is more then adequate. i used to be one of those guys that pulled out the stock sound system and replaced it with upgraded speakers etc. now because maybe i am getting older think the system is real clean with rich sound. i am not a bass man myself. i prefer the high's and mid-range sound and my musical taste compliments this system.

·
Registered
05 Cadillac STS4
91 Posts
It's not just the bass lacking... I agree that the 15 speaker bose system is more than adequate for most people's wants and needs, but I am into audiophile quality sound in my car. Bose does not make products that can compete with the high end car audio speakers and amps.

I am interested to learn of anyones experience with replacing the speakers and amps in the STS 1SG. My concern is that high end speakers and amps may just emphasize any problems with the receiver/CD/digital processor. I assume I can't change the receiver/CD/digital processor.

I also think too much of the sound comes from the dash and not enough from door speakers, so I would also like to know if the receiver has a crossover network/digital filter that would prevent putting full range speakers in the doors and increasing the gain on those.

Thanks in advance for any technical information about upgrading the audio system on my 2005 STS 1SG AWD.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
635 Posts
Me, I'm glad my STS is bass lacking. I don't want that fish smell in my car no matter what. I also think the BASE in my Bose is fine with me. Of course just being able to hear is fine with me since I wear 2 hearing aids and I think to loud of music in my younger years was a small help.

·
Registered
2005 STS4 1SG
410 Posts
I also miss the bass in this car. I don't have a cello in it, either.

Seriously, I do wish it had better deep bass. No, I don't want anyone to hear it but me. I don't need 15 speakers. 4 good ones with a strong sub would be fine.

·
Registered
05 STS V8 1SG with ACC, 99 STS (Sold), 06 CL500 (Wifes)
960 Posts
I think the fine is fine, but I still put two subs in the trunk. A pair of MTX 12s. More than I ever would need. I have no reason to allow dem gangstas to bump to my hiphop.

·
Registered
06 Cadillac STS
352 Posts
Me, I'm glad my STS is bass lacking. I don't want that fish smell in my car no matter what. I also think the BASE in my Bose is fine with me. Of course just being able to hear is fine with me since I wear 2 hearing aids and I think to loud of music in my younger years was a small help.
Bass:
1. low in pitch; of the lowest pitch or range: a bass voice; a bass instrument.
2. of or pertaining to the lowest part in harmonic music.

·
Registered
14 CTS Vsport Black Tricoat/black, 16 Escalade Premium Lux Gray on Kona.
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Both Infiniti's that my family have owned are aimed at about the same market as my STS, yet both put out significantly more bass with what seems like the same subwoofer. My Infiniti only had 7 (6+sub) but it seems it had better bass response and output. Even my moms Grand Prix GT with a Monsoon (stock) system has better/clearer bass. I would expect such an expensive "high quality" system that supports a discrete channel of bass for Dolby Digital and DTS to have more than enough power to push an equivalent amount of bass as treble/midrange.

So back to the question, how can I get some more bass out of this thing without replacing the stereo? Is there a line-out option (not speaker/high level)?

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF
52 Posts
What size is the factory sub? Can it just be replaced? I'm guessing not as the Bose systems I've had in the past have been pretty self contained, in our Yukon we added a JL10W3 stealthbox and amp, and I think we had to do a line level converter also with that install...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts