Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

Just found this site this morning. I have not worked on a Cadillac since I sold my 1980 Eldorado a number of years ago, but my dad has a 1994 or 1995 (not sure which) Seville STS. I am visiting him this weekend and he has asked me to change the oil for him. As I won't visit again for about 4 months I want to make sure the car gets through the winter without problems.

I plan to change oil & filter, air & fuel filters, PCV valve and plugs. I have searched past posts & learned how to reset oil service light etc. But as I want to spend as little time working on the car as possible I have a few questions to ask in advance.

1) I've read these engines are sensitive to certain brands of spark plugs - what brand do you all recommend? (keep in mind where he lives I will be getting patrs from an Autozone or similar, not a dealer) & just to prepare me, how hard are the back plugs to access - any tips?

2) Is the fuel filter easy to find - such as under the driver seat?

3) Other than items listed above is there anything that I have missed - do these cars have anything else - for instance cabin air filters? He just had the radiator flushed several months ago so thats OK.

Thanks in advance for any help or tips.
Roderick

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Welcome aboard..... Thanks for signing up :wave:

For sparkplugs, I would ONLY recommend OEM plugs...... Especailly on this engine...... ONLY AC DELCO...... While your in there, change the wires too.......

Fuel filter, I believe, is on the drivers side, underneath the car...... Easy to spot, I guess..... I cant remember for sure......

Along with that, Id replace the air filter, and clean up the TB with some of GMs TOP ENGINE CLEANER..... Good stuff, Ive used it on my Q45.......

Other than that, it should be good......

While your in there, be sure to take note of stuff that looks unusual..... Some bad looking hoses, stuff that doesnt look right...... Also, have you checked you done an OBD code check??? Good idea to do that......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, and also the heads up on the OBD check. I searched the archives and found to display codes press either the info up or down button with the on/off button. I assume this applies to this car, I will find out this weekend.

Anyway I'll keep my fingers crossed for no problems, but if I come across anything I will be back here on Saturday asking for help deciphering codes.

Thanks again,
Roderick

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
I put in new Bosch platinums today, no change in idle smoothness, etc. Tomorrow on the highway will be the test. I wonder if I will get better mileage. GM wanted too much for their plats, when Bosch has been making plugs for 100 years, so I guess they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
1993 STS, 1997 STS, 2002 SLS, 2007 CTS 3.6
378 Posts
elwesso said:
Welcome aboard..... Thanks for signing up :wave:

For sparkplugs, I would ONLY recommend OEM plugs...... Especailly on this engine...... ONLY AC DELCO...... While your in there, change the wires too.......

Fuel filter, I believe, is on the drivers side, underneath the car...... Easy to spot, I guess..... I cant remember for sure......

Along with that, Id replace the air filter, and clean up the TB with some of GMs TOP ENGINE CLEANER..... Good stuff, Ive used it on my Q45.......

Other than that, it should be good......

While your in there, be sure to take note of stuff that looks unusual..... Some bad looking hoses, stuff that doesnt look right...... Also, have you checked you done an OBD code check??? Good idea to do that......
I changed my plugs and wires and was worried the rear plugs would be difficult but they werent really to bad, take your time it isnt to bad. The fuel filter on mine (93 STS) is drivers side torwards the rear kinda under the passenger door easy to see.

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts