Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help with this one. I recently swaped from a genorator/ external regulator setup on my 1960 coupe to a newer style internal regulator altornator. I've got it charging properly but I don't have it wired correctley. Right now I have the wire from the positve battery post to the Battery terminal on the back of the Alt and a wire jumping from the regulator terminal to the the Alt battery terminal. It works but it's pulling power from the battery when the car is off. I was doing some work the other day while the car was dead cold and noticed the Alt was hot. There's also a terminal next to the regulator terminal for Feild. Not sure what that's supposed to hook up to though. Can someone tell me how to wire this thing up properly so I don't have to dissconect it everytime I shut the car off. Thanks

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
It's a 3-wire right? One goes to the battery, and the two smaller wires: one is supposed to be jumped to provide a voltage source for the regulator (so you can put that near high draw devices supposedly) you can jump that to the positive terminal. The other is supposed to go to the idiot light (Ground when insufficient voltage or other alternator issues). I'm guessing you might have the two switched around.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's a 3 wire. So you are supposed to jump the battery terminal back into the altornator. Ok, Then I may have it right, but I'll try the other post and see what happens. My big concern is that it's draining the battery. The car sat for a couple days. When I went to crank it over it was dead. Had 1 volt in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts