Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just pulled my heater core from my 90 Deville because I have minimal heat. This is a brand new core I installed not quite 2 years ago because back then I had ZERO heat. Anyway, everything I've read on here HIGHLY recommends the BarsLeak Gold in the coolant system, so I've been putting it in. I just flushed the cooling system a few months ago, added DexCool and BarsLeak, as even after putting in a new radiator 1.5 years ago, the car still tends to overheat in the summer. Now, back to my point. I'm flushing out my heater core - and it's just FULL of chunky BarsLeak!!! No wonder I have minimal heat, the core is so clogged up with this stuff! Comments, suggestions?

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
DexCool? in a 90? Which BarsLeak did you use? The powdered stuff, or the stuff in a jar?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaveSmed said:
DexCool? in a 90? Which BarsLeak did you use? The powdered stuff, or the stuff in a jar?
Everything I've read here has always recommended DexCool for aluminum block engines, my car has always had overheating issues, even after new radiator, hoses, etc, with the normal green antifreeze, so last time I flushed (and flushed and flushed and flushed!), and decided to add what I was lead to believe to be the best antifreeze, DexCool. Is that NOT recommended for a 90 Deville? Guess I should know now before summer rolls around here again in 3 months (Arizona). The BarsLeak I added was Bars Leaks Radiator Stop Leak and Conditioner, Golden Seal, and it's powder. I'm still shaking the crap out of my heater core even after several flushes. (Oh, and if anyone wonders, my air-mix door is working properly, that's not the source of my lack of heat)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Wow. With a full flush, DexCool is a good choice, but lets try and figure out why your engine was overheating in the first place. That, and what does the stuff coming out of the heater core look like?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DaveSmed said:
Wow. With a full flush, DexCool is a good choice, but lets try and figure out why your engine was overheating in the first place. That, and what does the stuff coming out of the heater core look like?
The stuff coming out of the core looks like rehydrated ginger root and walnut shells :) !!! A lot of chunks, a lot of specks. And the intake tube has this slimy clear-whitish gel-like coating inside of it.

I, too, have been wondering why my car overheats. Even after the new radiator and hoses, last summer it was overheating on the freeway - of course, it was 118 degrees, A/C on, stop and go traffic (rush hour). And there have been plenty of other times I'd get home and the car sounded like a percolator - sometimes boiling out the overflow tank. It's done this since my flush and DexCool, as well. And I've ALWAYS thought is just plain SMELLED hot after driving my 25 miles home from work - even when it's cold outside! It's never low on fluid and I don't see any leaks. So your guess is as good as mine as to why it's always running hot. I'm thinking I might put in a new thermostat just for the Hell of it, see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
A new t-stat sounds like a very good idea.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that I'm thinking about things, I suddenly remember - last January I was driving home, no A/C, no traffic - and it was 5 months AFTER I had the new radiator put in, the car overheated. I had added the BarsLeaks liquid shortly after having the radiator replaced. Anyway, when I got home that day I was looking at the engine and noticed the overflow tank was FULL of thick, brown, sludge. I took it to a Jiffy Lube (or somesuch) and had them power flush the system. They had to keep vacuuming out the overflow tank to get the crap out of it. I told them it was a new radiator, how could it be like that and got some reply like maybe the system wasn't flushed when the radiator was put in and it was old crap from the engine - along those lines. Now my heater core is clogged. I'm really losing faith in the BarsLeak stuff, I'm thinking it's causing more problems then helping.

I'm now off to reinstall my core. I had to flush it and shake the Hell out of it at least 30 times, shaking it so hard I now have a headache! I also filled it with vinegar and let it soak for 30 minutes or so to loosen things up (it's been flushed plenty of times since then, too) I could not believe how much crap I kept getting out of it. Just when I thought I was about done, out would come a whole bunch more. I hope this solves my heat issue!

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
if i remeber right the heater core doesnt have a water shutoff valve , so coolant is always circulated thru the core , i wonder if the core being plugged causes the car not to cool like the manufacturer intended ?

i wonder if having the fans wired to be "ON" at all times would help , since it doesnt get cold enough in AZ to worry about them being "ON"

i agree tho a new stat would eb a grand idea , beatter than a broke or missing t stat ,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AZDinker said:
Now that I'm thinking about things, I suddenly remember - last January I was driving home, no A/C, no traffic - and it was 5 months AFTER I had the new radiator put in, the car overheated. I had added the BarsLeaks liquid shortly after having the radiator replaced. Anyway, when I got home that day I was looking at the engine and noticed the overflow tank was FULL of thick, brown, sludge. I took it to a Jiffy Lube (or somesuch) and had them power flush the system. They had to keep vacuuming out the overflow tank to get the crap out of it. I told them it was a new radiator, how could it be like that and got some reply like maybe the system wasn't flushed when the radiator was put in and it was old crap from the engine - along those lines. Now my heater core is clogged. I'm really losing faith in the BarsLeak stuff, I'm thinking it's causing more problems then helping.

I'm now off to reinstall my core. I had to flush it and shake the Hell out of it at least 30 times, shaking it so hard I now have a headache! I also filled it with vinegar and let it soak for 30 minutes or so to loosen things up (it's been flushed plenty of times since then, too) I could not believe how much crap I kept getting out of it. Just when I thought I was about done, out would come a whole bunch more. I hope this solves my heat issue!
Okay, the VERY flushed and cleaned out heater core is back in the car - and WHOA!! Does it ever get blistering hot in there now! Inadvertantly, I discovered exactly HOW hot it can get - my air-mix control arm fell off while driving, while I had the car on max heat. Even after turning the Climate Control totally off, just the normal air flow was so damn hot I had to open the windows to make it home! (I just taped the control arm onto the door so it can't happen again). So, back to my original question in this post - what good is the Bars Leaks if it's clogging my heater core?

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
only good that comes from the bars is to keep the engine and radiator sealed up , something funny about the aluminum block and iron heads that cadillac wants the sealant in it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts