Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen discussions on using bars stop leak instead of GM coolant tabs, but nothing on Bar's "Liquid Aluminum" radiator, stop leak. Does anyone have an opinion on this product. Just bought a 94 Deville, and will drain and refill the system this spring. For now though, I want to make sure that I have the proper stop leak powder, (or tabs) and then top off system. Any help and thoughts on this product will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
You can get the GM pellets from any GM dealer, I got mine for just a few dollars. I wouldn't use the liquid aluminum, I'd stick with GM or the Barsleak Gold (GM equivalent).

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
bob'scaddy said:
I seen discussions on using bars stop leak instead of GM coolant tabs, but nothing on Bar's "Liquid Aluminum" radiator, stop leak. Does anyone have an opinion on this product. Just bought a 94 Deville, and will drain and refill the system this spring. For now though, I want to make sure that I have the proper stop leak powder, (or tabs) and then top off system. Any help and thoughts on this product will be greatly appreciated.
The Bar's Leaks giant tablets are the exact same product as the GM supplement pellets. Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder (in a tube) is also the same thing - 1 tube is equal to 1 pellet. No other supplements are recommended or should be used in the system other than these products. Proper cooling system maintenance is of critical importance for Northstar engines, and I wouldn't trust it to anything but what is recommended by GM, no matter what it says on the package or what anybody else says about it.

·
Registered
2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
3,723 Posts
mcowden said:
Proper cooling system maintenance is of critical importance for Northstar engines, .
..and the 4.9's!

I think his Deville has the 4.9, if it's not the Concours.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it's the 4.9, I returned the Liquid Alum. and got Bar's stop leaks, (#c16) not the Gold. I don't think they had the gold, but I will try to find out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, Advance Auto here in Columbus does not carry the gold, Soooooo one more time has anybody here heard anything about the Bar's Leaks "Radiator stop leak and conditioner" or shoud I keep looking until I can find the Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder ( in a tube) or the Bar's Leaks giant tablets Thanks again for the responses.

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
Bob, isn't there a GM dealer near you? I got my GM supplement tabs from the local Chevy dealer. They sell them for $4.35. Any GM dealer should have them on hand.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
bob'scaddy said:
Yes, it's the 4.9, I returned the Liquid Alum. and got Bar's stop leaks, (#c16) not the Gold. I don't think they had the gold, but I will try to find out.
That may be the wrong stuff. If it is Barsleaks, you want HDC or G12BP, nothing else.

·
Super Moderator
2002 Seville STS F55, 2006 Mazda Miata
22,408 Posts
Everyone covered this topic thoroughly, but I thought I'd chime in:

DO NOT USE the Liquid Aluminum product. It is not made by Bars Products; it is simply another manufacturer's product with their usually trustworthy name stamped on it. It ruined the radiator in my 1992 Infiniti Q45. I did, however, have good luck with the brown stuff. It effectively sealed a nasty coolant leak. The car's been across the country in terrible heat about a half dozen times since then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts