Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not too clear on this bars leak stuff. In the tech threads it says to add 6 tablets or 2 bottles of powder gold seal, but all of the threads on here say what a horrible product bars leak is. Is that just the liquid everyone doesn't like? Can some one clear this up for me?

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
It has a bad rep because if too much is used it can clog stuff up. Follow the directions and you'll be fine.
If you're going to use anything get the proper tabs from the dealer or Delco distributor. It's not hard to get.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,260 Posts
I'm not too clear on this bars leak stuff. In the tech threads it says to add 6 tablets or 2 bottles of powder gold seal, but all of the threads on here say what a horrible product bars leak is. Is that just the liquid everyone doesn't like? Can some one clear this up for me?
========================
Can some one clear this up for me?
sure - do NOT use ANY stop-leak products in your cooling system -

·
Registered
2004 DeVille
30 Posts
My Dad had one piece of advice in this area: do NOT use ANY stop-leak products in ANY automotive system unless you were planning to have that system totally replaced in a very short time. I've followed that advice for nearly 50 years without any problems whatsoever. Frankly, if the radiator leaks, replace it and the hoses (or you are very lucky and have one of the few remaining radiator repair shops left in the country, you could ask them about that [the Feds and their regs put all of ours out of business years ago]).

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Unless you're on a battle with a pinhole leak somewhere that cannot be easily reached, don't use it. Even if you do, at least regularly check your purge line and hollow bolts to make sure it did not block that. Do not overuse it (more doesn't mean better), and do not put it in the surge tank as it'll just sit at the bottom of it.

I said pinhole leaks; it will not work on HGs, radiator leaks, crossover gasket leaks, basically any kind of large leaks.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,436 Posts
Bar's Leaks products are not "horrible". In some cases and situations they may buy you some time before major repairs can be accomplished.

The tablets or powder (HDC or G12BP) were used by GM on assembly lines to prevent early nuisance weeps. The entire idea was scrapped in the early 2000s - 2004, maybe.

If your cooling system has no weeps now, there's no sense in using the stuff. If the system has obvious leaks, the ONLY proper way to repair - and opposed to Band Aid - the problem is to........... repair it.

GM has issued specific TSBs on this, and goes on to state that continued use of the product when unwarranted can lead to coolant passage clogging, sludge formation in the surge tank and coolant discoloration.

As a matter of record, I do not recommend ANY sort of magic goop, EVER, for a cooling system - - keep it clean and repair it properly. That's called preventive maintenance; Magic potions are not .............

1 - 10 of 10 Posts