Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,851 Posts
the amount of mis-information and REALLY bad advice - in this ONE thread is just STAGGERING!

·
Registered
1998 DeVille Executive 4.6 Northstar
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Trust I take it all with a grain of salt I look it all up anyways

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,366 Posts
the amount of mis-information and REALLY bad advice - in this ONE thread is just STAGGERING!
LOL I’m back from a bit of a hiatus and nothing has changed, happy And glad to see you ranger and sub keeping the good advice coming for the poor souls

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,184 Posts
Agreed.

I would strongly suggest to anyone reading this thread for accuracy to heed the information of respected long time members and ignore the other posts offering claims without substantiation.

·
1999 ESC
99' Eldo
48 Posts
I have a '99 Eldo w/82k miles - which developed an overheating problem last August - I added Thermalweld - THERMALWELD - LANDING PAGE - Head Gasket Repair | Thermalweld and have driven over 3000 miles since the conversion and have no overheating problems - call the company - you'll probably talk to Mr. Hooper - he is a chemist and developed Thermalweld 20 yrs ago - he has helped 100's of Northstar owners fix their head gasket/overheating problems - it was a better fix for $250 - rather than $3000 - I agree with all the forum experts that it may be a temporary fix....but I'll keep driving until it fails.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,837 Posts
You CAN insert (not stud) a Northstar FWD engine while it's in the car - but it's no fun.

Forget the magic potions and snake oils and do it correctly.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
191 Posts
FWIW I've have had marvelous luck with Lucas. These snake oil in a can products have come a long way. For only a few bucks, I'd definitely give one of them a try before doing a head gasket job. Do a google search. Lots of success stories and Lucas is just one of the top rated brands.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac DeVille limo
13 Posts
Don't waste your time trying to replace parts or add crap to the cooling system. I'm pretty sure it'll end up being your head gasket. I spent over $5,500 on my 2002 Deville and finally got it to stop overheating, and YES it was the head gasket. Keep in mind I didn't have smoke coming out and no milky in the oil. I did buy a block tester and it didn't show signs the head gasket was bad.
It started out with a small coolant leak and of course, I'd top it off every so often. Then the coolant recovery tank would overflow and the car would overheat and the dash would tell me to shut off the a/c.

I had a feeling it was going to be the head gasket right from the beginning with all the research I did but was in denial and thought I'd get lucky by replacing other parts just so I wouldn't have to spend a fortune even though I ended up doing so in the end.
I took it to a mechanic and was first told first it was the "Coolant Recovery Tank" WRONG!!! Then I was told it was my radiator "WRONG!!! Then I was told to replace the cooling fans "WRONG!!' Then I was told to replace the cooling fan relays "WRONG!!" The list went on and on until I found a guy online that lives not too far from my house, he specializes on Northstar engines only and that's all he works on. I was quoted a price and of course, after he pulled the motor out the price went up because he found other parts and electrical items that needed to be replaced. I told him to go ahead, after all the car was 17 years old at the time last year so I might as well have him do it so it wouldn't have to be done at a later date. I know all of you are thinking I'm an idiot for spending all this money but the only reason I did was because the car only had 76,00 miles on it and it's a limousine. If it was a sedan I would have junked the car at the beginning. Anyway, I hope this helped you out and didn't upset you.

Any update on your car Broken420?
Screenshot_20200528-052926_Gallery.jpg

41 - 49 of 49 Posts