Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2006 XLR
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone answer my question as I have been up and down threads and topics, I've searched on the Location of Bank 1 which is suppose to be with the #1 spark plug/ side for the XLR. All of the topics are for the transverse NorthStar engines and rarely give vague information on the LH2. Just a little help from someone who has it by memory or subscribed to Alldata, or has a Helm Manual for these 2004 through 2009 base XLR. Thanks in advance. Frank

· Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
1,355 Posts
Not sure what your asking but the engine side that has cylinder 1 is B1, that head has all the odd number cylinders

Bank 2 is where cylinder 2 is and that head has all the even numbered cylinders

Look for where crank pulley is, call that front of engine, bank 1 than would be left side

White Art Line Font Rectangle

· Registered
2006 XLR
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what your asking but the engine side that has cylinder 1 is B1, that head has all the odd number cylinders

Bank 2 is where cylinder 2 is and that head has all the even numbered cylinders

Look for where crank pulley is, call that front of engine, bank 1 than would be left side

View attachment 623061
Alright Thanks, just a standard Chevy engine, So just to clarify, Bank 1 is on the drivers side of the engine, or if I'm standing in front of the XLR car's engine, it'll be on my right hand. The passenger side will be Bank 2. Alright sorry to add these details to the question but just trying to not leave this question to misinterpretation. So now onto my search on the P0024 Exhaust trouble code Bank 2. Once again appreciate the information.(y)🇺🇲

· Registered
2006 XLR
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright Thanks, just a standard Chevy engine, So just to clarify, Bank 1 is on the drivers side of the engine, or if I'm standing in front of the XLR car's engine, it'll be on my right hand. The passenger side will be Bank 2. Alright sorry to add these details to the question but just trying to not leave this question to misinterpretation. So now onto my search on the P0024 Exhaust trouble code Bank 2. Once again appreciate the information.(y)🇺🇲
I'm sure your information is wrong on the Bank 2 question, It's opposite of where your SBC engine block denotes, in other words the drivers side is bank two. I didn't work on it cause it didn't seem right to me, and an Idea came to me to check on the XLR internet site where the information had contradicted yours. I pulled the whole case on the drivers side front engine with the the magnets attached and found that my helper had applied too much RTV and squeezed out into the interior where it interfered with the oil control valve. I cleaned up the hardened RTV and reassembled and no more check engine light. BTW if you don't know the answer when looking with an Helm manual or All Data, cause that's what I asked for, concise accurate information and you did a disSERVICE by putting out incorrect information.

· Registered
2008 XLR
32 Posts
Dont know what you are saying, but on any engine with more than one head,vbank one is the side with number one cylinder. Does not matter if its in the front ,rear backwards. or upside down. cylinder one is bank one.

· Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150
79,949 Posts
ZR-1 is mistaken.

If the OP is running an XLR with the Northstar engine - simply take the cylinder blocks in this drawing and rotate it 90 degrees CW. Cylinder 1 would be the front one in the right (passenger side) bank.

The serpentine belt/accessory drive end becomes the front; the water pump end becomes the rear.

Font Circle Rectangle Number Symbol

Here - quick Google search image - - - sheesh - - - - -

Rectangle Font Circle Symbol Number

Font Parallel Diagram

........... homework -

· Registered
2006 XLR
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the OP is running an XLR with the Northstar engine..............
Yes this is the factual information that I gathered after careful consideration, the LH2 from the XLR does have the bank 2 on the drivers side. As I found out my helper who needs to help me applied two much RTV on the magnet mating surface to the plate and cause the DTC, I removed the plate with the two magnets and noticed the cured RTV had interfered with the oil control valve, scraped / cleaned it up, prepped with rubbing 90% alcohol and reassembled, to this date no more trouble codes. Thanks for setting the facts on track, really appreciate the confirmation on the mechanical aspects of the XLR LH2 engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts