Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have some tips for the best way to access and change the rear exhaust bank O2 sensor on a 1996 Eldorado ETC??? Does the motor have to be raised or lowered or is there a special tool that will work???

Thanks,

DLE

·
Registered
1994 STS - pearl white
140 Posts
It's pretty tight in there.

Without checking the service manual, you are probably looking at rocking the engine forward. This is done by removing the two bolts the hold the front of the engine cradle to the body and lowering the front of the cradle. The powertrain will tip forward and open up some space between the engine and firewall. You may have to remove the rad fans and disconnect some lines to prevent overstressing them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is very tight in there. According to the shop manual for my car these are the steps for the heated oxygen sensor (rear);
1. Raise and support the vehicle
2. Support rear of powertrain frame
3. Remove four frame bolts (#2 and #3 locations?????)
4. Lower the frame no more than 3 inches
5. Disconnect the rear oxygen sensor connector
6. Remove the rear oxygen sensor from the rear exhaust manifold.

I cannot find a diagram for the #2 and #3 frame bolt locations in the manual. I think they would be the two outboard bolts on the rearward bar of the powertrain frame. When this is done, can you reach the sensor from the top or do you have access from below.

Can anyone out there help me with this one?

Thanks,

DLE

·
Registered
1994 STS - pearl white
140 Posts
It sounds like you'd pull out the four rear powertrain cradle mounting bolts & drop the rear of the cradle. The exhaust manifold is located under the HVAC duct in the normal engine position. Rolling the engine toward the rear of the car will not open up any working space at the top. You will have to get the O2 sensor from below.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts