Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
XT5
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With higher octane fuel, manufacturers would have an incentive to raise compression ratios and get the same horsepower out of smaller engines using less gas. The dreaded carbon output would be reduced.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,692 Posts
Very, very incorrect thinking on the part of the OP. Compression ratio is not the only answer. Even back in '75 I got incredible fuel economy out of a carbureted 1967 Mercury Cougar 289 low compression 3-speed auto - on "regular" fuels. The companion hi-po Cougar 4-speed manual was a premium fuel gas hog - in spades. I owned and drove both to over 125,000 miles each.

E10 is a decent fuel, with its own built-in potent fuel system cleaner. Higher concentrations are strictly to pay off the Corn Lobby.

·
Registered
XT5
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd be happier if ethanol were banned!
There are non-ethanol stations and the marinas have it at higher prices, No one has ever explained to me the high octane ethanol they sell at a lower price in S. Dakota. Race cars burn ethanol for their high compression engines so it could just be clever advertising. Anyway, here were the pure gas stations. Unfortunately not working now but it has been around for a long time and will probably be back after its monetary dispute with Google is resolved: https://www.pure-gas.org/maps

·
Registered
XT5
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very, very incorrect thinking on the part of the OP. Compression ratio is not the only answer. Even back in '75 I got incredible fuel economy out of a carbureted 1967 Mercury Cougar 289 low compression 3-speed auto - on "regular" fuels. The companion hi-po Cougar 4-speed manual was a premium fuel gas hog - in spades. I owned and drove both to over 125,000 miles each.

E10 is a decent fuel, with its own built-in potent fuel system cleaner. Higher concentrations are strictly to pay off the Corn Lobby.
Tell that to the angels who were flying Messerschmidts against fairly crude but outperforming Spitfires burning high test Texas enhanced gasoline,

·
Registered
2017 XT5, Platinum, Dark Granite Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,443 Posts
There are non-ethanol stations and the marinas have it at higher prices, No one has ever explained to me the high octane ethanol they sell at a lower price in S. Dakota. Race cars burn ethanol for their high compression engines so it could just be clever advertising. Anyway, here were the pure gas stations. Unfortunately not working now but it has been around for a long time and will probably be back after its monetary dispute with Google is resolved: https://www.pure-gas.org/maps
Taxes have a lot to do with it:

There is also a tax rebate the stations get for selling gasoline with ethanol in Wisconsin which causes ethanol blend at the same octane to be cheaper. Likely the case in other states as well.

@Arminius, I think you live in an ethanol mandated state:

South Dakota does not mandate ethanol blend, but likely has volume requirements and tax incentives for sellin the ethanol blend.

·
Registered
XT5
61 Posts
A couple of thoughts on banning regular gas. First, the oil companys would love you if you could do that. Premium gasoline requires more specialized hydocarbons and the cost is higher to the consumer. Second, just because an engine has fewer cyliinders does not mean that it will get significantly better fuel economy. It gets down to physics. It going to require the same energy to propel as car no matter how many cylinders are used. The driver has more input on the economy by their driving habits.

·
Administrator
67,692 Posts
Messerschmitts vs. Spitfires running Rolls Royce Merlin and Griffin V-12 engines has no association with a stock Ford 289.

Normally aspirated vs. supercharged also factors into that comparison .............. apples/oranges.

·
Registered
XT5
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd get a kick out of the Warmers in their Priuses being force to buy high octane. These guys are aging flower children and their grandkids. Serve them right for promoting wood burning because the trees absorb CO2 before being turned into more smoke than all the cars in LA!

·
Administrator
67,692 Posts
Actually, once warmed up and providing more than enough heat for the entire home, our woodstove emits NO smoke. Burn it too cool (like with the choke on) you get smoke. We burn just over 3 cord a winter - the heat pump (an electricity hog) stays pretty idle.

I'm just over 80 - here's my Prius eater ........

Diesel dragster.jpg.jpg

·
Registered
XT5
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DETROIT, 2015 --" In a world of higher octane gasoline -- in which 95 would replace 87 and become the new regular -- automakers could more easily and affordably meet stringent fuel economy standards as well as reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

During a panel discussion this week at the SAE World Congress here, representatives from Ford Motor Co., General Motors, Chevron Energy Technology Co. and an ethanol trade group agreed that raising octane would allow gasoline engines to run more efficiently, boosting fuel economy between 3 and 6 percent and lowering CO2 emissions by around 2 percent.
...."
Automotive News, https://www.autonews.com/article/20150425/OEM06/304279979/higher-octane-fuel-could-add-mpg-sae-panel-says

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
DETROIT, 2015 --" In a world of higher octane gasoline -- in which 95 would replace 87 and become the new regular -- automakers could more easily and affordably meet stringent fuel economy standards as well as reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

During a panel discussion this week at the SAE World Congress here, representatives from Ford Motor Co., General Motors, Chevron Energy Technology Co. and an ethanol trade group agreed that raising octane would allow gasoline engines to run more efficiently, boosting fuel economy between 3 and 6 percent and lowering CO2 emissions by around 2 percent.
...."
Automotive News, https://www.autonews.com/article/20150425/OEM06/304279979/higher-octane-fuel-could-add-mpg-sae-panel-says
This week?? The article is dated April 25, 2015. The consensus reached at the conference certainly did not get much traction in the nearly 5 years that has passed.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
805 Posts
A couple of thoughts on banning regular gas. First, the oil companys would love you if you could do that. Premium gasoline requires more specialized hydocarbons and the cost is higher to the consumer.
In today's world, fuel "octane" is not based on a count of molecules or atoms in those molecules. It is a "rating" that tells us the propensity for knock reduction relative to the knock reduction of fuel with an actual "octane" value. The octane rating is boosted by a simple chemical additive that costs less than $0.10 per gallon per "step" (87 to 89, and 89 to 93). Of course most gas stations charge at least $0.30 markup per step.

Second, just because an engine has fewer cyliinders does not mean that it will get significantly better fuel economy. It gets down to physics. It going to require the same energy to propel as car no matter how many cylinders are used. The driver has more input on the economy by their driving habits.
Fewer numbers of cylinders means less moving parts which means less friction and likely less weight. All things being equal, an I4 with the same HP and torque curves of a V6 or V8 will use less fuel because of that. The same goes for an engine with a smaller displacement. All other things being equal, it will use less fuel. The problem is, "all other things being equal". Most I4's won't have HP and torque curves like a V6 or V8.

Personally, I don't care for small engines. They don't sound pleasing. In fact, they sound like total crap when operating at high RPMs or under loads. They often feel like they are being overworked even under normal load. I prefer a V8. They sound good, are balanced, and even when they don't have a lot of HP, they feel like they do.

·
Registered
XT5
61 Posts
Rudeney,

I agree that octane is a measure of ability to control "knock" but this is achieved by adding longer chain hycrocarbons that burn at a slower rate. This is where the cost comes in.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
805 Posts
But it's just an additive that costs less than $0.10 per gallon to go from 87 to 89 and another < $0.10 for 89 - 91 and again for 91-93. Oil companies and fuel stations have long been over-charging for this additive.

·
Registered
XT5
61 Posts
I don't know if you are trolling or not but cost is significantly more. It is difficult to find water at 10 cents a gallon. Coke is about $10/gallon out of a vending machine.

·
Registered
XT5 Platinum, Dark Adriatic Blue Metalic, Maple Sugar
265 Posts
I don't know if you are trolling or not but cost is significantly more. It is difficult to find water at 10 cents a gallon. Coke is about $10/gallon out of a vending machine.
I think you misunderstood. I don’t think he meant a gallon of additive cost 10 cents. I believe he was saying the amount of additive that you would add to a gallon of gas would cost 10 cents.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I think you misunderstood. I don’t think he meant a gallon of additive cost 10 cents. I believe he was saying the amount of additive that you would add to a gallon of gas would cost 10 cents.
If that were true, there would be gas wars selling higher octane for less than the spread commonly seen at all stations. It would be a real trick to keep all merchants in line with this conspiracy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts