Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2009 cts sedan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Again,

My CTS has baggy seats and my GM dealer suggested that under the warranty he can take it to the nearby upholstery shop and have them add an extra pad on top of the one already there. He said however, that after a year, the baggy seat problem will probably return. He said no original cadillac parts will be used. Do you think I should take him up on the offer or would it be better if the defective cushion was taken right out and replaced with another original cadillac cushion?

The squeeky seats problem is from the back side support cushions rubbing against the plastic seat frame. The pads cushions are flattened compared to the ones on the passenger side so I am thinking this is the problem. The Dealer said that he will also fix this at the local upholstery shop but was not clear what they were going to do. I would prefer original cadillac parts, what do you guys think I should do?

Thanks again!

Caddyman112

·
Registered
2016 ELR (silver), 2009 CTS Premium Sedan (red), 2005 CTS-V (red)
447 Posts
If it's still under warranty, I'd insist that they replace the seat pads and the cover with genuine GM parts. If that doesn't solve the problem, then go the third-party route at your discretion.

This is a common problem from what I've seen on this forum and I have similar issues. My seat has been "repaired" twice for being loose in the track, clunking whenever I shift my weight, accelerate/decelerate, or move my foot from the gas to the brake pedal. The insides of the seat back also creak when I move in the seat and the seatbelt squeaks against the leather of the bolster. My bottom seat cushion and bottom seat cover have both been replaced under warranty. I'm very gentle on my car, try not to slide over the bolster any more than necessary, am not overweight, and use high quality cleaning products on a regular basis. Even so, everything is still creaky and the leather is bunching and creasing even after replacement.

Unfortunately, I think it boils down to GM using cheap materials in the second generation CTS. I'm hopeful that future Cadillacs will return to using the better quality Eagle Ottowa leather from the first generation CTS and the uncomfortable, squeaky "thin" seat design will be scrapped for something more traditional. The seats in the ATS, XTS, and ELR all look promising, so I'm hopeful!

·
Registered
2009 cts sedan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys! I read the other attached thread and one guy mentions a bulleting advising not to add xtra padding. Another post said that the side supports could not be altered because of the air bags. I think I will push to have the defective parts replaced with original GM.

Caddyman112

·
Registered
2009 CTS-4
48 Posts
Let us now how it goes with the dealer replacing the seat. I've noticed the same issues with my drivers seat.

·
Registered
2012 CTS Coupe, Premium, Touring
98 Posts
Here is a Cadillac TSB on the seats that might be helpful to you buddy.

TECHNICAL
Bulletin No.: 09-08-50-004B
Date: June 13, 2012
Subject: Front Seat(s) Lateral Seat Clunk (Install Felt Washer, Replace Clip)
Models:
2008-2012 Cadillac CTS (All Models)
Built Prior to December 1, 2011
Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the build date and add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-08-50-004A (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).
Condition
Some customers may comment that the driver or passenger seats display a lateral movement (side to side) and/or a clunking noise.
Cause
This condition may be due to excessive movement between the seat frame rails and the front riser tube on the seat bottom frame/adjuster assembly.
Correction

1. Remove the affected seat and lower seat cover. Refer to Front Seat Cushion Cover and Pad Replacement in SI.

2. Remove the existing push nut from the seat frame using two screwdrivers (1).

3. Ensure all of the clip is removed and the tube is clear of any debris (1).

4. Install the felt washer over the tube end (1).
5. Place the new push nut on the tube against the felt washer and hold in place.

6. Place a 25 mm (1.0 in) twelve-point socket against the push nut and over the end of the tube. Ensure that the socket is flush and even against the push nut. Install the push nut with a hammer (1).

7. Inspect and verify that the push nut is seated against the orange bushing (1).
8. Repeat Steps 2-7 on the opposite side of the seat.
9. Install the seat in the vehicle and verify the procedure corrected the condition.
Parts Information

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Disclaimer

·
Registered
08 CTS 3.6DI AWD
6 Posts
I just had this felt thing he referred to done to mine 2008 CTS with heated/ventilated seats. It helped a lot. I don't think it's perfect, but much better. If I had to describe the sound mine made, I'd guess it was the seat foam pressing against the heating/cooling components or the lumbar track. I did get to look at the back of the seat when the seat back was off and it appears as if there's a lot going on inside. If they had to redo the design, my suggestion would have been to cover certain parts that will rub with that anti-friction tape like they use under the hood on wiring.

Like I said, the felt washers seemed to make it much better, but it's definitely not perfect. By the way, it was $206.68 ($189 labor and $17.68 for the parts). I have 38K on the car and it is certified, so I assumed it would be covered. I was wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts