Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shut the car off yesterday and went to restart about 15 minutes later. The starter sounds like it is spinning (fast) but it sounds like it does not engage the flywheel. After about 20 tries it did engage and start. However, there was a whining sound like the starter motor did not disengage the flywheel. I shut it down after about 2 minutes. I am thinking the solenoid on the starter is bad. Does anyone know how to get at the starter? Is it easier to remove the intake manifold and go from the top or take out the cat converter and go from the bottom?

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2003 CTS
123 Posts
not sure if this will actuall help, but i think i remember someone talking about going thru the wheel well to get at it... anyone else?

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
first off, have you ever replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS)? if not, this is the same thing that will happen if that has gone bad. i am not saying that your starter is not bad, but it sounds like the CPS could possibly be your problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The wheel well does seem like a possbility.

I don't think it is the CPS since I can here the starter motor turning but it does not turn the engine. Is it possible that the CPS would allow the starter motor to turn and but not turn the engine?

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
well when my CPS was going bad, i had a few instants when my starter was just trying and thats it. then other times, my engine would try and turn over as well...so i have i am partial to either one being bad

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
There is a spring (bendix spring?) that is supposed to disengage when the engine starts to prevent you from ruining the starter. Maybe that's the culprit?

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
I asked a Cadi Mechanic years agoi and he said the cat or exhuast has to be removed. Those bolts are rusted so they may have to be cut off. Have replacements ready.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Changed it out. Had to take off the Cat part of the exhaust. Only the two bolts at the "y" pipe broke so I just replaced them. Had to losen the bracket under the transmission that holds the cat part of the exhaust to be able to remove the ehaust pipe. Did not have to take off the motor mount as someone else suggested (Just wiggled the starter around until it came out). It was very difficult to get the top mounting bolt (2 universals and a long extension). Took 3 hours to get off and 1 1/2 to put new one one. It was the Bendix spring that went bad and was not allowing the starter to engage the flywheel. Thanks to everyone that posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts