Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've got a 99 STS with the BOSE and my Passenger side door speaker is shot. It just sort of rumbles and groans and sounds horrible. Are these special order speakers, or can I replace with just about any speaker?
Thanks,
Bryan
Also, does anyone know where to get a cd changer magazine cheap?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well, since one speaker went out, why not replace em all :)
Make sure you get the right size speaker then grab some cerwin-vegas and put those in :)

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
You might want to contact Bose to see if they can rebuild them. I know that several of the Allante owners have had problems with the Bose speakers amps, and there are a few individuals that repair them on the Allantenet.org site that have had them repaired either by either Allante speciality shops or have sent them to Bose directly for repair. Bose has given lifetime warranty on the work they do. I wish I had the Bose system in my car instead of the Delco crap that it came with.

Good Luck

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
klr94ss said:
Hi,
I've got a 99 STS with the BOSE and my Passenger side door speaker is shot. It just sort of rumbles and groans and sounds horrible. Are these special order speakers, or can I replace with just about any speaker?
Thanks,
Bryan
Also, does anyone know where to get a cd changer magazine cheap?
I'm not sure about the Bose speakers -- whether the integrated amplifiers are really INTEGRATED, or if you can replace just the speaker. At some point, the speaker has got to be able to be mechanically isolated from the amplifier, but I think Cadillac claims that they're not separately serviceable.

As far as the magazine, shortly after I bid on my CD changer on eBay, I started watching it for cheap magazines, but they'd get up to near the cost of one from the dealer, and of course it's over eBay so quality is never guaranteed. I sprung for the $70 magazine from the dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Thanks for the replys. I am not going to sink a whole lot of money into this as I have an expensive Impala SS performance habit :) and the caddy is just a daily driver. I may look to see if the speaker can be replaced or rebuilt, and if not will just cut the feed to it.
Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
A '99 STS seems to be an awfully expensive daily driver that you'd just cut the speaker out of if it stopped working! I wouldn't think of doing on that on my ole Nissan, let alone our SLS. ;) I'd consider fixing the speaker -- and at least getting an OEM unit back in there, whether it be from a salvage yard or other source. Tunes must not be your thing (ironic, with a Bose-equipped STS).

:confused:

Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,
I will try to repair it first, but if the expense is very high that would be the only reason I would just cut it. With all the other speakers I may not even notice the difference, but do enjoy the bose sound as my last daily driver STS (94) had it as well. I love the performance and ride more than anything, but the bottom line is that this is my beater car and I dont' want to put too much into it if I can avoid it.
Please don't take offense to the term beater, I really enjoy the car and try to keep them very clean, but do use them every day.
thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Hey Bryan,

Yeah, I use mine everyday too. I used to have an '84 Cutlass that I drove everyday, but I also showed it in car shows and won 1st place trophies. I don't do that anymore with the Cadillac, but still keep it that level of clean. I know what you mean...tryin' to keep 'em clean and still run 'em every day. I was just surprised to hear of the possibility of cutting the speaker on a '99 STS with Bose system. :D

How's those Caddies run against the Impala? I think that stock vs. stock, the Sevilles are quicker is that right? I know the aftermarket is explosive for the Impalas, though.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Couldnt you just go and buy another speaker from like best buy or something. Or are aftermarket speakers not compatible with the bose system.

When i think of beater, I think of Ford festiva with 150k and rust all over it.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
elwesso said:
Couldnt you just go and buy another speaker from like best buy or something. Or are aftermarket speakers not compatible with the bose system.
See, I don't know. GM says they're not separately serviceable because with the Bose system, there's a mini amplifier right at each speaker. My original question is, how integrated are they really? Couldn't you just unbolt the whole assembly from the car, replace the defective speaker portion, and then bolt it back in? What I don't know is, maybe the speaker is some weird configuration that isn't standard...??

When i think of beater, I think of Ford festiva with 150k and rust all over it.
Ha! Yeah, me too. I once had an '87 Regal I bought for $550 bucks. The paint was terrible on it. Ran pretty good, but had a knock in the engine. I went to the junkyard and bought an Olds 403 cui V8 out of a Delta 88 and put it in the Regal and it was awesome! Ahhh...to be 20 again (I'm 23 now). :)

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Only GM would be retarted enough to put a mini amp on each speaker.......

They just do that so you cant go and buy another one.

His car is a 99, wouldnt it still be under warranty???

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
You have a '99 STS as a daily driver, and you'd rather crap it up than fix it because you have a Chevy that you want to sink your money into?
Dude, you're MESSED UP!!
I don't know how you you got the STS but if you are even questioning whether or not to fix a speaker, just because you don't want to take any money away from the Chevy, you're certainly no Cadillac enthusiast.
Do yourself a favor and sell the STS to someone that won't crap it up and buy yourself a beater that you can afford to keep up while you dump money into the SS.
Dude, you're SERIOUSLY weirding me out.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I am with katshot. Hey sal, isnt there a way to prevent him from accessing this site?????? :D J.K. Fortunately, it doesnt say cadillac fan on his title.

BTW dude, no offense, but when you call a cadillac a beater on a cadillac forum, you are asking for it. The only exception is if it has the 4.1 (if its running :D ), or is a cimarron.

If anyone has a 99 STS and considers it his beater, he must have a bentley or something as his baby. The STS has to be worth more than a 94 impala, unless it is totally tricked out.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I gotta agree with katshot here! When I read THAT! The first thing that came to mind was....WHAT A FOOL!!! A '99 STS with a bad speaker and rather than fix lt he's just gonna cut the feed? And THIS is gonna be done to dump more money into a CHEVY???
I'm sorry guys but THAT... Is no Cadillac enthusiast! Sal, Do we have the title "Cadillac Butcher" available? 'Cause I'm thinking it applies here! I mean how much could it cost? Repair/Replace But to tear up a perfectly good late model Cadillac 'cause you dump more money into a CHEVY?? That's seriously F*cked up!!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Its gota be a leased car right? I can't believe some one would call a cadillac they own a beater. For a car I spend most of my time in I would like it in the best condition to make it more enjoyable.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Dead Sled said:
I can't believe some one would call a cadillac they own a beather.

What the hell's a beather?:D

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
If I understand the role of a moderator, it's to encourage participation and moderate the discussion in the forum. You guys should be above the name calling. Personal flames like that are never allowed on other forums I'm a part of and they shouldn't be allowed here either.

Chill out dudes. :madtalkin

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
bahhh :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The guys question was adequately answered by a couple people here. I, for one have seen several posts on other forums where the person posting is just trying to get people stirred up. Not that this guy is TRYING to do that but as was said by Wes, to come on a Caddy forum and call a '99 STS a "beater" is going to cause a little trouble. If anyone finds that incorrect, sorry.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Katshot said:
The guys question was adequately answered by a couple people here. I, for one have seen several posts on other forums where the person posting is just trying to get people stirred up. Not that this guy is TRYING to do that but as was said by Wes, to come on a Caddy forum and call a '99 STS a "beater" is going to cause a little trouble. If anyone finds that incorrect, sorry.
What he said!.....Except replace the word sorry with "TOUGH!"

1 - 20 of 63 Posts