Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my 95 STS in gear (possibly not reverse) there is a crunching and popping sound coming from the passenger side. I took it to a mechanic today, who didn't know enough about the northstar to work on it, yet told me it didn't sound like a transmission sound, and I heard the transmission is on the other side altogether.One time, while a friend held the brake and put it in gear, I felt the power steering pump, or the reservoir that holds the fluid, and it was moving to the pops coming from around there. Many people have said it sounds like a bearing is loose somewhere, others have said it's loose in the tensioner, I would like to be able to fix it, or atleast diagnose it myself, the only close place that knows cadillacs, well.. they like to screw me a little too much. So any help, comments or opinions would be a great help.

Seth

·
Registered
878 Posts
Have you checked the motor mounts? Dogbones?

Yep, the tranny is on the driver's side (mostly).

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
367 Posts
Check the serpentine belt tensioner. Mine made the same type of sound..was really pronounced in a drive through.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot for the help, I have court for not having proof of insurance this morning, so once I get that taken care of, I'm going to check the tensioner,as I hope that's what it is, cheapest fix. So no one thinks it would be the power steering pump?

Seth

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
The power steering pump would make a whinning sound. If you turn the a/c off does it make the sound without stopping. Could be the a/c compressor clutch bearing wearing down to the point of it letting the pully go cooked and touch the clutch plate when the compressor is not engaged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Krashed989