Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Devil, 93 Deville, 84 Cuttylac built 350 olds, Arctic Cat
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 sedan deville, all digital dash. 4.5 liter

ok for the last 3 years the car has just clicked when trying to turn over, wait a sec and try again and it starts
today i it clicked and i tryed to turn it over real fast
thats when the digital dash, digital fuel gauge, heater cluster, radio all went off with key on, turned the key off, then back on seemed as if the battery was dead and it was charging back up, once lights were bright again, tryed turning it over, same thing, finally got the car started, drove it home, everything worked find during the trip home, pulled in the driveway, shut the car off, tryed to restart it, same problem,

things ive noticed are,
top front dome lights will be bright if i turn them on with the switch located close to them, then if i open the door they shut down, while there on like that if i turn the key on, they shut off, i threw a battery charger on the battery termnals to test stuff out, all the lights seemed to work fine, turned the key on and heard a noise about where the fuel pump would be, turned it off immediatly, ive noticed the factory sunroof some times closes by its self also.... factory sunroof,
so as i was taking the charger cables off, i felt the positive terminal on the battery and it was pretty hot, taking it theres short somewhere along the line but dont quite understand on how it would effect all these things together.... now when i turn the ignition on nothing comes on and dome ligths wont go on with door open, any ideals, wiring diagrams, places to check, computers to replace, where do i start, i have no money to fix it unless i do it myself and am very very handy with fixing cars.... some one please help, check where all these things can come together
also maybe a relay or something was in stalled in the car, i heard a clicking noise under the dash, then everything powered back up as if voltage was back, btw a aftermarket alarm was installed in the car before i purchased, ive taken out the power fuse for the alarm like a year ago and everythings been fine until now. besides replacing 2 injectors.... someone please please help...

thanks...
Brian

·
Registered
98 Devil, 93 Deville, 84 Cuttylac built 350 olds, Arctic Cat
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
to clear it up

when i tryed to click the key over fast again. everything went blank as in dead no power......

i thought the chip in the key could have caused the click or a high point in the flywheel or starter....

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sounds like one of the following:
1. Bad battery
2. Bad battery cable(s)
3. Bad battery cable connection(s)
4. Bad body and/or engine ground(s)
5. Bad ignition switch

·
Registered
15 Posts
The positive cable was hot because it's corroded internally.
Do you have 2 positive cables? One is for the starter, the other is for everything else.
Pry out the lead lug inside the positive cable and clean it out.

Keith

·
Registered
11 Posts
have u tried using your jumper wires to ground your battery to the engine sounds like a bad ground if that doesnt work then take all the fuses out use a test light that looks like a screw driver w a clip on 1 side and a point in the other clip the clamp on a hot wire or + side of battery and then test your fuse connections when the light turns on you found your short remember a short is but a quick +wire making ground before a load then trace your circuit but first look @your + wire and-wires from your battery look for signs of failure:yup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
forgot also make sure your battery is good do a voltage drop if it goes to 11 volts or less your cells might b dead use a good known battery

·
Registered
577 Posts
It looks like a tipical bad connections. You gotta clean battery terminals and reconnect the cables tight (but not too tight to csrew the terminals).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts