Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been having issues with one of my tires consistently and slowly leaking. Have to top off with air once every there or four weeks.

Took it into the shop I got the tires and the sister store, both said it's the rim... say, "aluminum is rusting and causing Chrome finish to bubble."

They say it's an extremely common problem with Cadillac wheels and it would be a waste of money to buy a single rim to replace vs. buying a whole new set, as the others are likely to follow in suit.

This company is a sales company, but also known for their integrity, hence my inquiry here...

Unfortunately I'm stuck with this hunk of junk - family members problem I let become mine. In six months I've owned I've had to put 4200 mechanically alone. Cosmetically is a whole different beast I've yet to tackle.

Anyway, rant aside, thoughts on cheap quality rims by Cadillac? Are they fill of it?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yes, the wheels are known to leak after some time. I would just buy an aftermarket set on craigslist and be done with it.

What repairs were done on the truck? How many miles?

·
Registered
171 Posts
All chrome wheels have same problem over the years. So this is nothing to do with Esky.

So I went tire shop and they fixed one wheel for time being. But it could leak again as cold weather come. So I'm either do repair again or buy after market one or buy whole set after market none chrome.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,765 Posts
^^ not my experience. My 07 Lade wheels were terrible. I had all 4 replaced under warranty. Then 2 of them a second time. Then my lease was over....

On the other hand, the factory Chrome rims on our 1999 LHS were fine until the day we sold it in 2004. The rest of the car was terrible, but the wheels were fine.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
194 Posts
It has everything to do with "Esky". If they would pay a company to do a quality job on the manufacturing process of the rims, there would be no problem.

The rims are the only complaint I have about it. I bought brand new platinum rims for my 2008 last november. There is already corrosion popping out. Isn't there a 1 year warranty on parts?

·
Registered
171 Posts
All cars are breaking, just some owners have more problem some less. I'm not sure reason why, may be previous owner, maybe region and environment using truck and ect...
I tell you every car have problem. I betcha your next car will have problem and you will end on some kind forum, complain about problems.

·
Registered
66DeVille Vert 76Coupe Delegance 07Escalade ESV 96Fleetwood 83Coupe Deville 70Calais
661 Posts
All my cars with aluminum rims need the bead buffed down with a wire wheel or flapper disc every handful of years. The salty roads corrode the aluminum. Ask any tire shop they will tell u its common. Maybe not where they dont use salt in the winters.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
^^ not my experience. My 07 Lade wheels were terrible. I had all 4 replaced under warranty. Then 2 of them a second time. Then my lease was over....

On the other hand, the factory Chrome rims on our 1999 LHS were fine until the day we sold it in 2004. The rest of the car was terrible, but the wheels were fine.
Same experience here. Never had chrome wheels that actually peeled apart. Had them get pitted, but never rotting through the wheel.

I have one on my 07 that is also slowly leaking. I will be replacing them with chrome 20s from the previous generation Escalade that are near perfect.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade and 2018 CTS-V
320 Posts
I have the 24" replica's from USA RIM. Haven't had any issues at all (knock on wood). And they look so much better.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV
8 Posts
I had the same problem also, but when I had my tires replaced, the tire shop used something called "bead seal" and they have been great ever since.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
194 Posts
PHLFLY,

Isn't that what forums are for? To share experience, ideas, solve current issues, and try to prevent the next?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Aluminum doesn't rust it corrodes and it's not a Cadillac problem, all aluminum rims do it regardless of manufacturers. Have them clean the rims and apply bead sealer and be done with it. If it is a cosmetic issue and you want it to look better find different rims but be prepared for the same eventually.

·
Registered
171 Posts
yes sure. I'm just saying every car forum you go, we will find people blame the manufacture. And of course they did not produce well enough product, since the testing components are limited. And this is driven by
us, as consumers, we want more technologies and newer vehicle every 5 years. So car production went "nuts" with 5 years cycle for any current model and no space to test components.

PHLFLY,

Isn't that what forums are for? To share experience, ideas, solve current issues, and try to prevent the next?

·
Registered
2005 Escalade ESV, White Diamond Pearl
342 Posts
All my cars with aluminum rims need the bead buffed down with a wire wheel or flapper disc every handful of years. The salty roads corrode the aluminum. Ask any tire shop they will tell u its common. Maybe not where they dont use salt in the winters.
I had to do the same thing to motorcycle wheels. Only rode in light snow one time. It is just a natural process for aluminum

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
We had to replace the chrome rims on our old 07 Yukon Denali after 5 years and we were told by a reputable local wheel shop that the government had changed regulations and there was something used in the chrome in the past which was an environmental hazard and they are no longer allowed to use whatever that was. Since then, the chrome does not last like it used to. I got nine years out of the chrome rims on my old 04 DeVille before they got so bad I had to fill them with air daily.

We were also told that road salt is the enemy and destroys chrome.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
194 Posts
Yeah, ok. I just don't like having corroded rims which are brand new (8 months old) at $1,000 a peice on a $60,000 vehicle. That feels unacceptable to me......and my wallet.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum Escalade (crystal red), 2013 Platinum ESV
308 Posts
Yeah, ok. I just don't like having corroded rims which are brand new (8 months old) at $1,000 a peice on a $60,000 vehicle. That feels unacceptable to me......and my wallet.
Did you buy them on credit card? If yes, check if that card has extra insurance on purchases. If it does, the insurance usually extends warranties by one full year so that should cover the rims. The credit card insurance company will cut you a cheque for the cost of the rims.

I have used this insurance a couple times. It is a life saver.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
194 Posts
Did you buy them on credit card? If yes, check if that card has extra insurance on purchases. If it does, the insurance usually extends warranties by one full year so that should cover the rims. The credit card insurance company will cut you a cheque for the cost of the rims.

I have used this insurance a couple times. It is a life saver.

Not a bad idea. I will look into that. First, I need to find out if GM has a parts warranty.......

·
Registered
2009 Escalade ESV Platinum
5 Posts
We have a 2009 Platinum ESV and had one of the rims start to leak air. I took it to the tire store and when they took the tire off, they discovered that the wheel was corroding and caused the rim to crack. I had it fixed and put back on, but the tire shop also said that they would all eventually corrode and be susceptible to doing the same thing. We love our SUV, but I will be replacing the wheels ASAP.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts