Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ESC
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange electrical problem all of a sudden the car died and stalled the check engine light is lit solid with no key in the ignition and nothing turned on white R in the key on the check engine light dims and what I move the ignition to the start position the engine turns over is normal but does not start all other electronics on the vehicle are dead there seems to be a grounding issue between the battery negative terminal and the body but I can see the grounding wire and it looks ok I have yet to put my digital bolt on meter to work diagnosing as I'm waiting for the tow truck to arrive before when this happened I took a jumper cable and ran a jumper from the body to the negative terminal of battery into the engine and cure the problem the negative battery cable has been replaced and all the connections are clean and solid I'm wondering if there's another ground somewhere in the engine compartment the is corroded or not working properly please advise Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ESC
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 2002 Cadillac Eldorado sport coupe its got 86000 miles out of the engines been rebuilt and I have no current code so I just have some memory module codes but nothing major I can't read the codes and report them now because the car electronics have no power and I can't even power IOD bc2 reader

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ESC
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
as soon as the tow truck gets me home I'll use my digital voltmeter to check for continuity between the negative terminal of the battery in various places on the body of the car obviously because the engine cranks and turns over just fine but wont start the engine is definitely grounded but and I think the electrical system is grounded too because I do have a check engine light the lights so it's got power but I have no other no other indications from the dash or anything else from the car the windows won't go down there's no lights on the dash when I turn the ignition on Northern Lights other than the check engine light so I'm thinking there's another grounding strap on this vehicle I read that there's supposed to be a grounding strap by the fuse panel on the drivers side but I haven't been able to find that but I think there is a grounding strap somewhere that has a bad connection the car has been garaged its entire life other than just this last winter when I had to drive it in the salt and I think something may have corroded ground wise so soon as I get home and get my volt meter out I should be able to determine where the broken ground connection is I think once I repair that connection I should be good to go thanks

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ESC
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Home now, grounding the body to the engine or to the negative battery terminal corrects problem. Can someone tell me where the engine to frame ground strap is located on the 2002 Eldorado? I've read by the starter and by the fuse panel on drivers side but I have not been able to locate it.
Thanks! ~Kevin.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ESC
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2002 Eldorado ESC Where is the engine to body ground strap?

There is a cable from the battery negative to the engine but where is the engine to frame ground strap on a 2002 ESC?

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Re: 2002 Eldorado ESC Where is the engine to body ground strap?

Doesn't the engine-to-battery cable also work as battery-to-body, making it engine-to-body ground at the same time?

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ESC
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: 2002 Eldorado ESC Where is the engine to body ground strap?

My engine is isolated from the frame by rubber hoses and engine mounts. You would think there would be some connection but there is not.
I had my local shop replace the negative battery cable. Turns out there is a short 10 gauge jumper from the negative to the body/frame.
This jumper has a bad connection and when it opened dc wise the car stalled no dash lights or ignition but the engine would crank just fine.
I soldered heat shrinked and used a better ground point to repair this connection then added another ground jumper with some old jumper cable and some washers.
I soldered the jumper cable to the washers and attached to an engine bolt and a body bold. Works great now.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,076 Posts
Please do not start new threads on the same subject. Makes it hard to follow and help.

Threads merged

1 - 8 of 8 Posts