Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,I am in the process of changing my fuel pump on my wifes 93 devilleany suggestons will be welcome.would a delco fuel pump be the best to use and should i change the sending unit also.Thanx,Marlon

·
Registered
520 Posts
fender bender said:
Hello all,I am in the process of changing my fuel pump on my wifes 93 devilleany suggestons will be welcome.would a delco fuel pump be the best to use and should i change the sending unit also.Thanx,Marlon
Just some general gas tank things, I don't know if you've had the pleasure of working on them before. For a fuel pump in the tank, I think I'd ignore anything except top quality parts. Delco, maybe NAPA. But i'd avoid Autozone or the typical parts store stuff. Not because of any danger, but because it's a pain in the butt doing the change again if they wear out. The sending unit is probably ok, but if you want to remove any doubt and lessen the chances of dropping the tank again, changing it won't hurt.
The emptier the tank the better. Less weight. A floor jack with plywood on top is nice to help lower the tank. Remember to check for slack in the wiring before just dropping it down. You usually have to disconnect the wires about half way down.
And if you have to tap on the locking ring to turn it, tap on a piece of wood if possible, or brass. Nothing that could conceivably spark though. You may have to bend the float rod around some to get the assembly out and then back in. Just try not to do any more than you have to, and when it's back in try and bend it back to where it was. It affects your guage accuracy some.
It's really not all that hard. Just remember, no sparks.
Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
fender bender