Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My EGR valve is bad, so i need to replace it. But as of now iam getting like 14mpg when i hear people getting like 17 all the time. Could the bad EGR have anything to do with this? Oh and what about power loss, does having a bad EGR lower the hp any?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
DeVillish said:
My EGR valve is bad, so i need to replace it. But as of now iam getting like 14mpg when i hear people getting like 17 all the time. Could the bad EGR have anything to do with this? Oh and what about power loss, does having a bad EGR lower the hp any?
Depending on what's actually wrong with it, it COULD hurt your MPG. But the performance will actually be a little better without the EGR.
I can't remember if your EGR valve is vacuum or electronically actuated. It it's a vacuum actuated unit and the malfunction is due to a leaking diaphragm, then the performance will be better once the valve is replaced.

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
I think I read in Chilton's that if the EGR valve is sticking or clogged, it might cause pinging or overheating? But it is not really necessary being a pollution control device to reburn some exhaust gases. Could he not damage some sensors if it goes unfixed? Or make the computer run less efficient?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
If it is clogged, and you arent getting any EGR, then it could help performance.......

Yes, it can cause pinging, and it can cause it to run hot.......

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my engine does start to over heat if i run it a little hard, no idiot light though, but i think thats mostly becuase of the accident messed up one of my fans. I think i'am gona replace the EGR just to be safe and for my own peace of mind, seems likes an easy job anyway. Anyone know how hard it is to fix/replace fans? Or should i just let the shop take care of that one?

·
Registered
´67 Eldorado, ´96 Eldorado
522 Posts
DeVillish said:
my engine does start to over heat if i run it a little hard, no idiot light though, but i think thats mostly becuase of the accident messed up one of my fans. I think i'am gona replace the EGR just to be safe and for my own peace of mind, seems likes an easy job anyway. Anyone know how hard it is to fix/replace fans? Or should i just let the shop take care of that one?
Its not difficult job - few screws and thats it. Well, little tricky because there isnt much room....

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
Bad EGR? Wouldn't you get tired of driving around with an SES light staring at you all the time?

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
A clogged EGR wouldnt turn on a MIL..... It could if it caused one of the other components to fail......

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Excuse me!

:canttalk:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Consider it done!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts