Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2013 XTS and the CUE unit died, no screen, radio nothing. Dealer said he has to order a new unit. My
question is will it be a updated unit or the same thing he is taking out? Is that the part that determines the upgrade or does
anything else need to be changed for the newer setup to work, like a control box. I only have one chance at this so I want it
right. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
there's a Cadillac tech that posts here and he's swapped out bad units before. you will be getting an updated HMI module however your software will remain the same.

·
Registered
2019 AWD XT4 Sport in Horizon Red
838 Posts
I just picked up a 2013 XTS and the CUE unit died, no screen, radio nothing. Dealer said he has to order a new unit. My
question is will it be a updated unit or the same thing he is taking out? Is that the part that determines the upgrade or does
anything else need to be changed for the newer setup to work, like a control box. I only have one chance at this so I want it
right. Any ideas?
Based on my experience, you'll get a newer unit (whether a 2014 or a 2015, I don't know. . . the switch to LTE for the 2015's might have some impact on this) that's been configured with 2013 features. By that, I mean it will be the newest software with all the latest bug fixes, but they won't configure it (as they could if they wanted to) with newer features like the text message reading thing. But it'll still be significantly faster and less buggy than what you had before.

There's a CUE Software Version thread around here, with instructions on how to see more detail on what hardware and software is installed than just the "software version" that the usual Settings menu shows.

Once you've had the replacement, use that to check what they gave you. . . and report back there too what you find, please. :)

·
Registered
2013 XTS Platinum
116 Posts
I have a 2013 and had the CUE replaced with updated HMI module but it seems to be worse that before. They updated the software but it seems more laggy than ever. Hope you have a better experience.

·
Registered
Cadillac technician
669 Posts
You are not replacing one thing, to call it the CUE unit makes it silly. CUE is operated thru your radio ICS(screen), HMI, radio receiver, cluster, and depending on options, CD player, or blueray, plus interface thru steering wheel controls and heads up display. They operate on the GM MOST network which is, if I recall correctly about 100 times faster than any other network is on your car at present time -GM HIGH SPEED LAN.

The HMI is usually the main brains of the system as pairing and navigation functions go thru it, and it's OS can be updated but not upgraded at present time. If you have an early 2013 CUE with a HMI version 1.1, it most often gets upgraded to a HMI version 2.0. This does not give you anything you can say is better, except maybe a faster processor since you vehicle will be downloaded software thru GM tis2web to your vehicles exact options and VIN. You can't by pass this or monkey around, believe me I have tried thru the years to push the envelope.

----------

Have them follow current bulletin PI1126F and possibly PI1062, depending on build date.

·
Registered
Cadillac
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the info. How can I check what version I have and what I will get? What would need to be replaced in order to get the newer software or hardware? Is it possible to get it changed out to 2014-2015 hardware and software, will it work in a 2013? Or am I better off just getting the replacement and getting some kind of
lock-pick setup and be happy with that?

·
Registered
Cadillac technician
669 Posts
The HMI 1.1 is 2013 and early 2014 models, not specific to any one brand, my link, intellilink
, cue , all use the same hardware. It is the main difference is I05, non navigation and I06 with navigation.

Like I stated above you can't change anything and still expect warranty to cover it, adding apps is not available, etc.
You can send out your HMI to get jail broken, but it will not be able to be updated in software for warranty or anything, because they will see the software versions do not match via tis2web and void your warranty.
Only software is updated thru PI1126F version right now.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd187/jeiler9865/2014-12/410C213B-E4BB-4B9C-B400-1B706C7AF0A6.jpg

·
Registered
NONE
514 Posts
You can send out your HMI to get jail broken, but it will not be able to be updated in software for warranty or anything, because they will see the software versions do not match via tis2web and void your warranty.
Actually thats completely false. They software update just like any other HMI and the calibration segments match factory and these units don't report CVN's.

·
Registered
NONE
514 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac technician
669 Posts
09-00-89-016C: Warranty Administration - Labor Operation 0600014 - Suspected Tampering or Vehicle Modifications - (May 6, 2013)

Non-GM vehicle modifications include, but are not limited to:

•installation of non-GM accessories
•installation of suspension lowering or lift kits
•installation of aftermarket tires and/or wheels
•installation of “power-up chip” and/or non-GM control module calibrations.

·
Registered
NONE
514 Posts
Good thing for Magnuson Moss :) Then again with several THOUSAND radios that have been done this way (and the majority of the customers are dealers!) and zero warranty issues I don't think anyone is worried about it. Again they report as 100% stock and update as stock so theres nothing to worry about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts