Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject has most of it. Was replacing the front brakes on my 2012 ESV and noticed the seals around the caliper piston are shot. Brittle, etc. Was getting dark so didn't get a great look but I will in the coming days. Pistons seemed to be ok.

Is it easy to put new seals on these?

If not should I replace with OEM calipers or are the ones at AutoZone or the likes any good? Duralast bracketed (whatever that means) are $75. Course OEM are only $50 plus shipping. Quite surprised they are this cheap. Part # 23290150 if someone can double check for me.

The question is if its worth replacing with OEM or not. Really at $50-75 it's hard to justify the effort of replacing seals on 140k mile calipers. I'll probably just replace them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with Submariner, replace the calipers. However you will need a scanner to bleed the brakes and some GENIUS will chime in to say you can gravity bleed them. This will NOT get all the air out. Make sure you install a Left hand caliper on the LEFT side and a RIGHT hand caliper on the RIGHT side. Good luck. Nick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, good with rockauto, have ordered from in the past. Will make sure to get left and right. :) It's pinning down the right parts as I seemed to recall either rotors or pads possibly different between the ESV AWD (mine) and the regular Escalade and rockauto doesn't let me go any more narrow than just Escalade.

Here is a parts list for my exact truck:
https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2012-cadillac-escalade-esv-awd/brake-caliper-front.html

So the calipers are parts:

Know if these come with new bleeder valves or should I just add them? It says on the gm parts site above that it comes with 2,3, and 6-9 but doesn't have a drawing for me to know what those are.

But neither show up on rockauto. Any advice on how to match up these GM parts to what I see on rockauto?

Ok parts aside, on the bleeding. I've seen advice to just disconnect the battery for an hour and then bleed like normal. I have a Motive pressure bleeder, MightVac (though not enough air for it), handheld pump, BlueDriver, and am not against picking up another scanner if I need to though I don't want to buy a Tech2 or anything like that. Any suggestions on what I can use for the job or can just disconnecting the battery for an hour work?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts