Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Eldorado ETC
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Feb I bought my 01 ETC with under 15000 original miles on it. As I drove off with it to bring it home the first time I used the brakes I could feel vibration through the pedal. At higher speeds it was really bad causing the car to shudder. Bad news was I had a 1700 mile drive home ahead of me, 3 days to get home and it was pouring rain out. I quickly checked to make sure a wheel wasn't loose or something. I decided to head home and tried to baby the brakes any time I had to stop. Long story short, by the time I got home they were great, smooth as glass with no noticeable high spot at all. My theory is that the car must have sat for a long time and got some corrosion or rust on the rotors that eventually came off with use. Once home I had the wheels off and the rotors look fine and there's lots of pad.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,500 Posts
Many times, if someone thinks they have "warped" rotors or high spots the problem is really rust or pad resin deposits on the rotor itself. Several aggressive stops from 70 mph (not panic stops - aggressive) will clear up shudder 99% of the time. City driven cars are susceptible, and, as you discovered, cars which sit for long periods do it too. When doing rotor cleaning stops the trick is to do it in a clear highway situation - speed up, do the aggressive stop, never allowing the car to either fully come to a stop or holding your foot on the brake if you DO have to fully stop: After an aggressive stop the rotors are HOT and holding the brake at that point is guaranteed to transfer pad deposits to the rotor. The trick is to drive away and allow the rotors to cool at highway speeds for about 3 miles after the stopping sequence.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts