Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 sedan deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could go out first thing in the morning at a temp of zero and the car will start fine but if I drive around for awhile,turn it off and lets say run in to a store come back out the car will crack real slow to the point of no cracking at all.If I wait alittle while then try it starts normal.Since it will start fine first thing on a cold morning,it cant really be the battery can it?Hate to buy a new battery if I dont have to in case its something else.Its a 95 deville 4.9...thanks

·
Registered
'85 Cadillac Fleetwood FWD Hearse '94 Sedan DeVille
62 Posts
Somebody answer his question B/C I have the beginnings of this same problem. Although I did have to put a new battery in it today at work. I have not been able to test it yet to see if this fixed the problem. ( No thread Hi-Jacking intended, just a similar problem looking for an answer) :)

·
Registered
1995 sedan deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
God, its so nice to see somebody say something even if it did not answer my question.I did end up reading somewhere that it could be the starter is getting to hot.The starter maybe on its way out but for now it only shows up when it gets hot.Also there are some web sites that sell heat shields made just for starters.I really dont think it is my battery since it starts the car just fine below zero..A bad battery would not do that.So Im leaning towards the starter....

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
I'd check the connections to everything first. I had an issue on my Deville where the battery would not charge, put a different battery in, a new one, and it did the same thing, message said "battery not charging". I returned the new battery, put the old one back in, and I guess I made the connections better, because I've never had a problem starting the car since.

A side note, I did drain the battery by leaving my ipod plugged in for a week when I was out of town, and decided to buy a new battery since it was 6 years old. But I must have made another good connection because this battery does not give me the "not charging" message either.

Good luck.

I guess I'd see if I could borrow one of those temperature guns to see if the start was "hot" when it cranks slowly, or not at all.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Seems like a classic case of heat soak on the starter. The hotter the starter gets, the higher the reistance of the windings in the motor become making it hard to start. Could be caused by bad wire connections between the starter and the battery, a bad ground at the starter (loose starter bolts) or the starter itself starting to go bad.

·
Registered
1995 sedan deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
8 below zero this morning,The car started just fine.Its just when you have driven around and shut it off then try to restartn it.I read about the heat soak thing.Never heard about it till I read that.Advanced Auto sells a heat shield blanket made for the starter that suppose to withstand 2000 degr.I would have gotten it today but had to deal with a flat tire when I got out of work.It goes for around $30.

·
Registered
1995 Deville, 86K miles
32 Posts
On older cars with high mileage I have known the bushings in the starter to wear to the point that when the starter was hot after running for a while the stator in the starter would expand slightly. On a starter that is wearing out it is enough expansion to let the stator rub on the field coils in the starter. Letting the engine cool some allows the stator and field coils to shrink and the car will crank normally. I think this is what is happening in your case. I don't believe it is the battery although it would be easier to fix if it was the battery.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, 2000 Seville STS
1,694 Posts
Starter blanket won't work on a N*, those and their metal sheild equivalents are designed for sheilding external starters from exhaust manifold, or header heat. The starter under the intake on the N* is surrounded by heat, and has very little air flow, so theres no where for the heat to go.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
If you get that heat shield blanket thing and it actually solves the problem finish the job off and replace the starter. Leaving the bandaid on it is just asking for trouble; when the starter finally decides to completely give up it'll be at the worst time and leave you stranded somewhere.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
The battery sounds strong enough since the car starts at below 0 temps. I would still prefer to test it before i bought a new starter. If you don't want to spring $40 for a battery load tester then you could see what kind of results you get with a $10 multi-meter. When the car doesn't start, check the battery voltage. If it isn't over 12.2 I would start to worry. Actually check it first thing in the morning before you start it and again after it starts to verify that it is charging (13.5 volts). If you are driving short trips it may be discharging slightly and the battery recovers on it's own over night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts