Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed while the wife was backing out of the drive that BOTH backup lights are out. It could be another broken wire like the license plates light but I tried to be sure the harness in the trunk had enough slack when I repaired them, so I'm thinking perhaps a backup switch on the transmission. Any thoughts before I crawl under to check? Time to break out the service manual again.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,552 Posts
Re: backup lights out

When was the last time you replaced ALL the bulbs in that trunk-mounted light assembly ?? (Not that it could not be the backup light switch or another broken wire.)

Here's what they looked like at 7 years old, much less now ..........

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sub. I replaced the license plate lights even though they weren't bad (see broken wire) about a year ago. I have never done the others. When they both go bad at once, I look for common singular causes. I already pulled the trunk lid liner to get to the bulbs, but I stopped myself to reconsider the cause. Haven't gone any deeper yet.

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
Are the rest of the tailight panel bulbs working? I had three broken wires in the trunk harness on my car. The trunk/fuel door releases didn't work with the dash buttons or the FOB, the entire tailight panel also didn't light up, nor did the reverse lamps.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just the backup lights. I'm hoping it's just the switch or connector. Haven't dug into it yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts