Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Cadllac Brougham
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bother you guys again, i'm on a fixing my car spree. Soo, my backup lights shine up in neutral and not in reverse, maybe it is just the witch that turns them on that's a bit off or similar?:confused::confused:

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
Yes.........the switch is out of synch with the shifter. Since the switch also controls the starting in park and/or neutral,(at least it does on the earlier 80's cars) proper adjustment is critical. Will your car start in neutral? By the symptoms you describe, it shouldn't. The switch is in a quadrant on the steering column inside the car and down by the brake pedal. You should be able to see it easily. The way to adjust it is to put the car in reverse, ignition on and with the emergency brake on and the engine off. loosen the switch at the column and move it until the lights come on. Then run through the starting sequence in both neutral and park. It should all work when the switch is properly adjusted and tightened down.

Cheers...........R.

----------

Ps. Make sure that you don't knock the vacuum lines off the quadrant. They provide the automatic parking brake release action.

·
Registered
1989 Cadllac Brougham
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the car now, it starts up in neutral though, is this the switch?

ForumRunner_20150510_000336.png

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
Yes, it appears so. I don't recognise the other stuff under there though. But then '89 is waaay too new for me.

Cheers.........R.

·
Registered
1989 Cadllac Brougham
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ForumRunner_20150510_153150.png

Thanks a lot, backuplights now work perfectly, would have taken a lot of time without your help! :)

·
Registered
2004 Cadilac Deville Base, 90,000 mile
28 Posts
My back up lights quit working altogether, fuses and lights are still good. Where exactly is that switch? Thought I smelled something electrical the day the lights went out. Although, I have a 2004 Deville.

·
Registered
1989 Cadllac Brougham
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
On the older cars with steering column shifters it is down the steering column a bit above the break pedal, mine is white and somewhat half moon shaped, sits on the steering column shaft. PS should have been posted in the 1985-2005 cadillac deville thred

1 - 8 of 8 Posts