Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Escalade White Diamond
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Got an issue with my 2008 Escalade backup camera and wondering if anyone can offer some ideas.

It was working fine until last Dec or so when it was SUPER cold one day. Got the "Service rear view camera" message on the screen when I was in reverse. Then perhaps 10% of the time it would come back on and function properly. Today, it is 8 degree Celsius and the camera sprung back to life. Works 100% of the time (knocking on wood). So it seems to me that it is indeed related to the deep freezing we had one day last Dec.

I am just wondering if anyone can suggest where I should check.. perhaps for connectivity issue, or exposed wire to the elements.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

·
Registered
'11 Cadillac Escalade
337 Posts
I can't really see the cold being the issue I've had my truck for a few years here in Canada in extreme cold conditions without effecting the camera performance. However a couple of months ago my camera was doing a similar things it would shut off and have the same message show up. At first I thought it was the backup sensors since the truck had a lot of snow and salt over the bumper after I had the car washed it seemed to be back to normal for about 2 or 3 days than it started doing did it again. During those periods it was mild compare to the previous months.

I ended taking it to the dealer they said the camera it self was malfunctioning and had it replaced. To be honest I'm not really sure what you can do without having a proper diagnostic done. could be one of many issues (Back-up camera, Back-up camera module, Head-unit to camera module harness or Camera module to back-up camera harness)

Since you have an 08 I'm sure you are still under warranty?

·
Registered
2008 Escalade White Diamond
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback fivepix. I wasn't thinking about the cold, though I wasn't clear in my post. I was more thinking about the snow/slush/ice build-up around the camera or where the wire from the front coonects to the camera. It started right at the time when it was really cold that day and tons of slush on the ground. The last few days when it was balmy and clean, the camera sprung back to life.

My warrenty ran out based on mileage. I have 85000km on it. I do have extended warranty but there is a $200 deductible per visit so I am saying a few things to get taken care of at the same time. Yeah... i am a cheapo :)

I may just leave it for now, since it seems to be back to normal now. Forgot how nice it was to have the camera.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts