Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Hoping someone might be able to help me out out with this install. I want to put a backup camera on my 2012 CTS and I'm having trouble with the wiring. It is the type with it's own screen. I am wanting to run the wires up the drivers side and I was planning on putting the monitor at the top left of the windshield. It's easy enough to run the wire, but I'm having trouble figuring out a power source.

Bought it at crutchfield and they tried to help, but the only thing they came up with was tail lights. That is obviously not the easiest install since the lights are on the body and the camera would mount on the deck lid, so having a different source would be great. But I also haven't done anything like this on a LED car so the last time I used the backup light as a power source it was obvious which one to use - not so much now and I have no idea if there is a wire to tap or which one it would be.

The monitor has 2 video inputs, so I also bought a 2nd camera for the front, so I would like to be able to power that as well, which would mean that it would need constant power to the monitor only while the car is on, but I would settle for just getting the reverse up at this point.

I appreciate any help.

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
17,538 Posts
Hi all,
Hoping someone might be able to help me out out with this install. I want to put a backup camera on my 2012 CTS and I'm having trouble with the wiring. It is the type with it's own screen. I am wanting to run the wires up the drivers side and I was planning on putting the monitor at the top left of the windshield. It's easy enough to run the wire, but I'm having trouble figuring out a power source.

Bought it at crutchfield and they tried to help, but the only thing they came up with was tail lights. That is obviously not the easiest install since the lights are on the body and the camera would mount on the deck lid, so having a different source would be great. But I also haven't done anything like this on a LED car so the last time I used the backup light as a power source it was obvious which one to use - not so much now and I have no idea if there is a wire to tap or which one it would be.

The monitor has 2 video inputs, so I also bought a 2nd camera for the front, so I would like to be able to power that as well, which would mean that it would need constant power to the monitor only while the car is on, but I would settle for just getting the reverse up at this point.

I appreciate any help.
Are you just looking for a factory backup cam?
Here's an install using a rear view mirror cam...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just saying a good wireless is much easier to install than wired. I also consider a 5" display to be the minimum.
No doubt. I didn't actually look for them when I purchased. I normally buy this stuff from crutchfield, mostly due to their support which isn't offering any good help in this case, and I don't think they even sell them. I also heard quality was bad on them but I'm seeing not it seems to have improved.

I already have this one purchased and panels pulled, so I would like to try to get it going, but I may go that route if I can't make this work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts