Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 CTS and my father has a 2005 CTS, however this is the first winter for both cars. Yesterday we both had the exact same problem: our back doors would not close - I mean it would not close at all, the door just swings open if you move the car. I am assuming the latch mechanism was frozen. They both ultimately unforze, but really what the hell is that about? It was only -10 C (14 F) over night. Cold, but not extreme.

Anyone else have that problem?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
It's 6 degreeF here in Ohio and no problems. Strange that both cars have the same problem. Are they both parked outside?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,061 Posts
I haven't had trouble closing the doors on my CTS at temps down to -45F. I suspect you have a problem with whatever was used to lubricate the lock mechanism. Silicon or synthetic low temp lubes should take care of it. Maybe somebody where you have your cars serviced did you a "favor".

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS
165 Posts
I had that once last winter and it was horrible. Its due to ice being... somewhere. Brand new car and the doors wouldnt even stay shut lol. Glad I think its funny now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, they are parked outside. I did buy some lube to keep around, just in case it repeats. I was considering running a rope across the back seats tied onto both door handles. I'd really be the envy of other drivers then - me and the turnip truck held together with rope.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Folks, go to your dealer and purchase GM SUPERLUBE it's a light oil spray that will stop them from freezing. it's the factory grease that get's too thick and holds the lock pawl.
:) chris

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
BCCADILLAC said:
Folks, go to your dealer and purchase GM SUPERLUBE it's a light oil spray that will stop them from freezing. it's the factory grease that get's too thick and holds the lock pawl.
:) chris
Thanks for the tip!

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,061 Posts
I agree with the Superlube. I just ran mine through the car wash with an outside temp -9F and the rear door latches didn't freeze. The windows didn't fall out when the hot water hit either.

·
Registered
The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option
2,432 Posts
wd40 will also work, or a lock de icer.

it hasnt happened to me yet, but i could see that being a problem :)

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.2 & 2014 ATS 2.0T
94 Posts
It's happened to me too, one time even in the garage.. just blasted the heat in my car for a couple mins and one time kept slamming my door cuz I was late...

I'll try wd40 if it happens again this winter!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts