Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've had my 2007 CTS for a few months now, and the stock shifter left a lot to be desired. I finally set aside today to install the B&M with some friends. We ran into plenty of small issues, mainly that the directions had different specs for the CTS-V and the CTS, and everything in my car (2.8 L CTS) seemed to be the same as the CTS-V.

We got the shifter in, bolted up, and I went to run through the gears. Everything felt great in the car, but I couldn't push the shifter over left for reverse. Started the car up, and sure enough, no reverse lights.

Back under the car, and the issue became apparent. Looking from behind the shifter towards the front of the car, there is a thick metal tab to the right of the shoulder joint holding the bottom of the shifter stalk. When to move the shifter left to go into reverse or first, the shoulder joint strikes the metal tab, preventing the shifter from moving further left. But it doesn't let me move far enough left to get the car into reverse!! :crying2:

I'm pretty frustrated now, and am hoping you guys have some ideas for me to try. I'm contemplating taking my car to an exhaust shop tomorrow and see if they can melt/bend/grind that tab to where the shifter will clear. It's a thick tab, and seem like steel or something else pretty sturdy, so most likely that will be a pain the ass. And I'm thinking there's got to be a better way than that.

Here's a crude MS Paint to illustrate what I'm talking about. Any ideas guys?

Attachments

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
nice diagram, actual picture of the condition would be better.....

you sure there isn't a modified bracket or something that came with the kit ?

·
Registered
CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice diagram, actual picture of the condition would be better.....

you sure there isn't a modified bracket or something that came with the kit ?
I'm off work tomorrow, and will try to snap a picture. It's in a tight area with the catalytic converter and driveshaft in the way.

No modified bracket with the kit or mentioned in the instructions. The shifter bolts into the bracket with the metal tab. Moving the shoulder joint lower by half an inch or so might fix the problem, but since the two pieces bolt together, by loosening bolts to lower the shifter I also lower the bracket.

I updated my picture to be more detailed. The bracket (horizontal black line) and below is accessed from underneath the car. The B&M base plate and above is accessed from inside the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
just a thought, maybe adjusting the shifter cable and shorten the x access travel distance will allow you to make reverse before you hit the metal tab.

·
Registered
CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just a thought, maybe adjusting the shifter cable and shorten the x access travel distance will allow you to make reverse before you hit the metal tab.
That sounds like it would work in theory - but I didn't know the CTS had a cable shifter? Thought if was some kind of multi piece/remote located rod shifter. Any links on where this cable is and how to adjust it? Appreciate the help here.

·
Registered
983 Posts
That sounds like it would work in theory - but I didn't know the CTS had a cable shifter? Thought if was some kind of multi piece/remote located rod shifter. Any links on where this cable is and how to adjust it? Appreciate the help here.

good point, you would know more than I as I'm assuming you had it disassembled. well either there is an adjustment mechanism or not, if not then dremel or blow torch. no luck finding a diagram

try this link

·
Registered
CTS
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
An update in case anyone else runs into this or is thinking about buying a B&M. Took the car to a local muffler shop. Owner was super nice, he hit the offending metal tab with a blow torch, but not luck. So we took off the exhaust piping and let it hang to get more access, and I uninstalled the shifter (using his lift). He hit it again with the torch, and I re-installed. Worked like a champ, shifted great!

Then, two days of perfect shifter later, I stop for gas, bang the shifter with my elbow, and no more reverse. That was about a week ago, and since that I've dremeled and dremeled and removed more material than I thought would ever be needed. I've installed and re-installed this thing 8 times, and still no reverse.

I filled out the contact form at Lindsay Cadillac to get their opinion if the UUC would work in my car. If they say it will, I'm giving that a try and throwing the B&M in the garbage. Failing that, it's off to ebay or the junkyard to find a stock replacement. Pretty frustrating experience.

·
Registered
983 Posts
An update in case anyone else runs into this or is thinking about buying a B&M. Took the car to a local muffler shop. Owner was super nice, he hit the offending metal tab with a blow torch, but not luck. So we took off the exhaust piping and let it hang to get more access, and I uninstalled the shifter (using his lift). He hit it again with the torch, and I re-installed. Worked like a champ, shifted great!

Then, two days of perfect shifter later, I stop for gas, bang the shifter with my elbow, and no more reverse. That was about a week ago, and since that I've dremeled and dremeled and removed more material than I thought would ever be needed. I've installed and re-installed this thing 8 times, and still no reverse.

I filled out the contact form at Lindsay Cadillac to get their opinion if the UUC would work in my car. If they say it will, I'm giving that a try and throwing the B&M in the garbage. Failing that, it's off to ebay or the junkyard to find a stock replacement. Pretty frustrating experience.
picture or video would have been cool. were you able to see the shifter actually make contact the piece of metal ?

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
did you try doing what that link said?
basically it sounds like it needs to be shifted away from that tab for when its going into reverse, so i think you need to shift the rod towards it to make the lower section further from it?
its been a while since ive installed a short shifter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts