Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing the header installation when I read on one of rgd's threads. He said the headers need to be loosened to replace the flywheel.

I could have finished the header installation today but change in plans means the V will probably end up in pieces until next weekend.

I have been following the instructions for the header installation and the instructions have been perfect so far.

Now that eveything for the header installation has been removed I have strayed and the transmission is on it's way out. If anyone has any advice about the removal of the tranny, it would be appreciated.

Damn I love working on a new car, everything is still clean.:thumbsup:

I thought this was a big project until I read what normV is doing!

Attached pic's of the progress...

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,706 Posts
Glad I could be of inspiration...now you have me thinking.:stirpot:

Norm

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Might as well modify and/or swap the shifter while you're in there :hide:

How many miles on your car? I've really enjoyed the swap to RP synthetic in the trans as well - quieter and slicker shifting - no B.S.

WW

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
:yeah:

Hell, might as well flatbed that thing over to Doug's place for a bullet proof rear as well. At the very least, spectre bushings and sways. Yeah, that's right - you're knee-deep in mod-hell - you just don't know it yet.

WW

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
One final note - be sure and keep all you stock parts so you can restore it when it comes time to trade it in on a 2009 V.

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Might as well modify and/or swap the shifter while you're in there :hide:

How many miles on your car? I've really enjoyed the swap to RP synthetic in the trans as well - quieter and slicker shifting - no B.S.

WW
UUC Shifter and bushings already installed, first mod.

6000 miles is it OK to put it in now? If so then I will since the tranny is setting on the ground right now.

And there no sense in reinstalling your exhaust system until your sway bars arrive.
Sway Bars not due for a couple of weeks and I'm dying to try the the car with the clutch and the new flywheel Patenience of a 5 year old you know. :)

:yeah:

Hell, might as well flatbed that thing over to Doug's place for a bullet proof rear as well. At the very least, spectre bushings and sways. Yeah, that's right - you're knee-deep in mod-hell - you just don't know it yet.

WW
I bought a car with 400hp why do I need to mod it? this is what I said when I bought the car. Just the shifter, oh and maybe a CAI, Kind of quite needs a cat back, maybe a tune..... This is how it starts right?

I bet an LS7 would fit nicely, Chef is a bad inluence!

I am in Mod Hell and it's good to have company. :)

I am going to start contacting companies like Strange and bug them until they do sometghing for the V! What could also happen is they will stop answering my calls then off to Doug I go... :thumbsup:

Tried to get the spectre bushings but they don't fit an 07. :rant2:

One final note - be sure and keep all you stock parts so you can restore it when it comes time to trade it in on a 2009 V.
I never get the first year so after I saw the numbers for the 09 I decided to build this one to beat an 09. Also, want to be able to play with the Z06's. It's OK to dream right?

What exhaust will you be mating it up to?
Already installed the B&B but sitting in the driveway now.

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update to the flywheel replacement:

Tranny out
Bell housing out
clutch out
Flywheel is next.

I didn't know what the stock flywheel would look like but I didn't expect what I saw. It appears to be 2 pieces and it's about 2 to 2.5" thick. I was wondering why the UUC was shaped the way it was, now I know.

The strange part is the part the clutch mounts to can rotate about a 1/2" without any resisitance and it doesn't seem normal to me - is it?

I am resting a little bit because I heard rumor that thing weighs about 50 lbs. I am going to take it out while on my back so this should be interesting. I'm expecting it will draw a little blood when I get my fingers trapped between it and the concrete!

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Two things: Just go to Doug. B: Your deeper then knee deep. The devil is poking you with his fork.

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what do you think the Devil drives?

I wonder if it's a black CTSV and he probably plans to upgrade to an 09!

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray V
1,567 Posts
So what do you think the Devil drives?

I wonder if it's a black CTSV and he probably plans to upgrade to an 09!
I bet he live's in AZ where it is hot. HMMMM who do we know that lives in AZ???:worship:

I never thought that I would worship the devil. :eek:

Oh well:alchi:

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Careful there - I think the flywheel is more like 80 lbs. Don't draw too much blood!

Yes, I would definately change the trans fluid. I swapped the rear diff many, many times (current rear diff) to get all shavings out and have experienced a solid, relatively noise free diff ever since.

Good luck!

(you can never have enough HP)

WW

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Careful there - I think the flywheel is more like 80 lbs. Don't draw too much blood!

Yes, I would definitely change the trans fluid. I swapped the rear diff many, many times (current rear diff) to get all shavings out and have experienced a solid, relatively noise free diff ever since.

Good luck!

(you can never have enough HP)

WW
80 lbs, That's what it felt like when I pulled it out. Nothing like a stock flywheel to make you feel weak. Almost dropped the thing, I only have the car about 1.5 foot up and I'm sure it would have taken out a chunk of concrete if I let it hit the ground. Probably would have snipped the tip of my finger off. I hear these cars weigh about 3850, at least I know where 50 lbs of it is coming from. :eek:

More HP... :drool:

Agreed on the Horse Power, Kind of addicted to torque also but I think the rear end will dis-own me if I get too crazy.

Good advise, same fluid for the diff as well?

BTW, Really like the clear fogs. As soon as I get through this last round of mod's I will post what has been done to the car so far. I haven't installed the side markers but I was thinking about tinting them, any advice on this?

I think I will need to wait until next year before the major mod's begin. Trying to decide if I should go NA or FI or build the motor for FI. I would like to see 650 at the rear but I think I may need to save this dream for another car. Either way, funds are running a bit low so I will need to let the bank account recharge a little. Maybe time for some more over time at work...

Does anyone want to donate to the "Robs car needs to go faster" charity fund? Pay Pal accepted. :bouncy:

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bet he live's in AZ where it is hot. HMMMM who do we know that lives in AZ???:worship:

I never thought that I would worship the devil. :eek:

Oh well:alchi:
Hehe.

Worship the Devil huh, never thought I would either... :bouncy:
A little :worship: then a little :alchi:

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
"Souleater"

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
"Souleater"
Yup. Black V, Modded to all hell, lives in a hot place....

Update:
Flywheel installed
Clutch installed

Was fun at first but it's starting to turn into work now. Hope to have it finished by the end of the week.

Need to hit up Luke for some piddly stuff too. Thank god for Luke!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
After you get your car put back together, you may need to go on forum probation too!! There's just too many folks willing to help you spend your money here.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Good advise, same fluid for the diff as well?
I know you know this, but given these words I feel compelled to remind you that the transmission uses Dexron III fluid while differential uses a gear oil plus an additive. I suspect you meant that advise to change applied to both.

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,706 Posts

Good advise, same fluid for the diff as well?...
RP Synchromax for the trans and Max Diff 70W90 or heavier if you want to get rid of noise. Good stuff as it will lighten up the shifting action.

Norm

1 - 20 of 24 Posts