Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2011 White Diamond CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
B&B Exhaust installed on V sedan (sorry, no vids) - opinion + a question for owners

The exhaust is outstanding - fit and finish is great, and the sound is amazing. At idle, you can hear it just slightly; when you rev it, it growls; and when you get on the throttle, it sounds amazing. Of course it is very difficult to describe the sound, but it is "refined", and smooth; not overly obnoxious. It's almost a nice, clean "boomy" sound, if that makes sense. But it does scream, for those of you who are wondering if it's loud enough. I'm coming from Mustangs with dynomax mufflers and no cats, and we loved our exhaust loud. The B&B is loud enough.

A few counter points: There is a slight "pop pop pop" sound upon deceleration (sounds like a slight backfire.) I'm not very happy with is, but am not sure if anything can be done. As well, when I'm taking off, the exhaust sounds like it's rubbing or something - it is a weird rattling noise. It reminds me of what a muffler sounds like that has been blown due to backfire. I'm wondering if it's rubbing on the diff. I will be going back to the shop in a few weeks for some work, so will have them check it then.

Question: has anyone else noticed the "pop pop pop", and also the rubbing sound when you're starting to accelerate?

P.S. - I will be taking some pics / vids and posting them when the weather warms up a little.

·
Registered
V2 CTSV
1,199 Posts
Re: B&B Exhaust installed on V sedan (sorry, no vids) - opinion + a question for owne

The pop pop pop is back pressure. My stock exhaust does it and I think it's awesome.

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
Re: B&B Exhaust installed on V sedan (sorry, no vids) - opinion + a question for owne

Hmmmmmm. My stock didn't make that sound, but it is normal since the system is so much more open. It got rid of the second set of catalytic converters which quieted it down too. If it's like a ringgggggggg sound, it might be a vibration too. How well did you do the center mount? If it isn't hitting anything now, it won't move much at the back either.

·
Registered
None
1,151 Posts

The burbles on deceleration is my favorite part!!!!! I absolutely love it and pretty much downshift my auto tranny manually now whenever slowing to a stop. Did I mention it's my favorite part of this exhaust? LOL

No rattles, although the exhaust does tend to shift a little after it's had a chance to heat up and cool off a few times. You may have to have it re-adjusted. Also, one of the clamps at the midsection seemed a little awkward to me. It appeared that it had to be either installed towards the ground where it might have caught on something or moved up and away from the ground where it sits awfully close to the chassis and a potential rattle hazard.

Tony

·
Registered
2011 V-Coupe (600+rwhp) ; Black Raven, Manual, Recaros
651 Posts

The exhaust is outstanding - fit and finish is great, and the sound is amazing. At idle, you can hear it just slightly; when you rev it, it growls; and when you get on the throttle, it sounds amazing. Of course it is very difficult to describe the sound, but it is "refined", and smooth; not overly obnoxious. It's almost a nice, clean "boomy" sound, if that makes sense. But it does scream, for those of you who are wondering if it's loud enough. I'm coming from Mustangs with dynomax mufflers and no cats, and we loved our exhaust loud. The B&B is loud enough.
I assume your car is a 2011 V-Sedan? The V-Coupe system is not loud and certainly doesn't scream the way you describe.

I spoke with Mike at B&B last week and he said the Sedan system is louder than the Coupe.

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,216 Posts

Yeah one of my favorite parts about my exhaust is the backfire on deceleration. It's awesome! :) to my understanding it's just the unburnt fuel burning ('exploding') in the exhaust manifold / headers, and is perfectly normal

·
Registered
2009 CTS/V
347 Posts

the pop pop in decel is computer cutting fuel on decel to save gas ...it is called DAFCO you can stop the pop sound by turning dafco off with efilive or hptuners software

·
Registered
09 CTS-V
415 Posts

I want to activate the pop pop sound on my car. I'm a stock automatic I cannot hear any of the snap crackle and pop sound.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts

Mine sounds like it's rubbing also. More closer to squeaking than a rubbing sound. I love everything about the catback except that.

G

·

You guys really like the popping sound? I think it cheapens the vehicle. The popping sound is for rice burners.

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,216 Posts

... or high horsepower V8s...

·
Registered
2011 White Diamond CTS-V
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Mine sounds like it's rubbing also. More closer to squeaking than a rubbing sound. I love everything about the catback except that.
Mine is more of a (muffler type) rattle, but only at low RPM's and only when I'm coming out of first. When I'm moving, I don't hear it.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V / 2015 Porsche Cayenne
725 Posts

Check above your mufflers at the top side there is a bracket that the muffler might be hitting (towards the rear I believe, I have the B&B as well and I had to adjust that area for clearance slightly.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts

The B&B gets MUCH louder after a few thousand miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts