Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
That is not a "cold air intake", it is a "hot air intake". It sucks air from the engine compartment (that chromed heat shield they show in the picture is laughable). The stock intake system on your Cadillac is truly a "cold air intake", pulling air from right behind the left front headlight. If you want to improve intake performance, remove the underhood silencer and install a rubber plug in the intake tube (search the Northstar forum for "butt plug") and/or remove the lower silencer underneath the airbox (accessible from the left front wheel well). Installing a "hot air intake" will gain you nothing, except for a lighter wallet.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,435 Posts
:stirpot: ^^^ For 99.6% of your driving, probably little, if any "gain". Removing the resonator does make transmission fluid checks much easier, as well as cleaning up the driver's side engine area......As stated, search the older threads for air intake discussion.....it's old history.....

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
You might get a little bit by buying the volant intake for the deville and modifying it. Or if someone would man up and make a plastic tubed one that would pick up the air from a truly cool place.

·
Administrator
69,435 Posts
:alchi: If anyone is bound and determined to replace the stock air intake prior to the filter/PCM box, go to ....spectreperformance.com.... and piece together a true "CAI" that receives air from the driver's side of the lower grille area. You'll spend some $, cut some metal and plastic, and build something which adds practically nothing to the OEM N* performance setup except MAYBE at WOT redline shift. But it will look trick. There are cheaper ways, such as sucking air from the area under the existing filter box, removing the U tube in the inner fenderwell area, or somesuch. The lower grille area is the only practical "CAI" route, though. You could remove the driver's side fog lamp and use that opening, too......TANSTAAFL.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the factory intake. They pull air from the coolest possible place on the car and they're very well designed.

If it bugs you that much, buy a DTS but i can assure you, your going to spend $300 or more on an intake and hate it. Max gain is about 5 HP and it's all above 80 MPH or approx 4500 RPM.

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
I was thinking about the CAI too, truth is that our OEM CAI's are better. The aftermarket will take away torque anyway. My car redlines stock.

As far as the Spectre stuff... forget that too. I tried it. You have to get weird pieces and the routing would be too long or simply wasteful.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
There are cheaper ways, such as sucking air from the area under the existing filter box, removing the U tube in the inner fenderwell area, or somesuch.
That's where mine is now. I removed the underhood silencer and installed the plug. I also removed the U tube under the filter box. It runs out real nice, sounds pretty good this way (especially with open windows), and doesn't suck any water or underhood air. That's about all you can ask.

·
Registered
Cadillac
33 Posts
I have experienced this first hand...I had a 3.5 in mandrel bend from the mass air to the place where the oem box was-where I had a 4in huge k&n. It looked good but the computer was exposed to engine heat, I thought it would suck reasonalbly cold air from that position with a heat shield I made to keep the fan wash at bay. throttle response was sluggish where before it was sharp...needless to say I now have a modded oem air box and a K&N panel filter, and its better all around in my opinion

·
Registered
Cadillac
37 Posts

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
I wouldn't use either of those it will just be pulling hot air from the engine compartment.
I would like something less restrictive though not so much cold air as less restrictive.

·
Administrator
69,435 Posts
Just to muddy the waters, are you aware that a pretty high percentage of N* intake air is heated to somewhere near coolant temperature by either the earlier heated throttlebody or the later water crossover passages ????

If you're sitting at a traffic light or cruising down the highway at 70 and your coolant temp is, say 210 degrees, all your intake air is flowing through a passage heated to....210 degrees !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts