Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2010 white diamond sedan, 6MT,all options. 641 RWHP/592 RWTQ
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a B&B cat back on my manual sedan and have noticeable backfire after almost every upshift, it is quite annoying. I dont mind some backfire after hard acceleration but just normal driving going through the gears is a bit much.

Just wondering if mine is a rare case or are there others out there? Any solutions to this? Thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My tuner said he could get rid of some of it but not all. Just thinking that this issue is not normal.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan
392 Posts
I don't know anything about that exhaust, so I don't think I can comment any further other than I bet it's a tuning issue...

Joe

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, i'm defenately gonna give it a try, hopefully it works.

·
Registered
2011 V-Coupe (600+rwhp) ; Black Raven, Manual, Recaros
651 Posts
I notice it on my B&B as well, but it's not so bad. Some people actually like the backfire sound. I remember recently someone mentioned that it can be tuned out.

You should call B&B and speak to Mike Boat. He's very helpful and I'm sure he'll be happy to give advice.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
Even bone stock V2s "backfire," it just isn't as noticeable with the stock mufflers. It's probably a lean misfire--the mixture is too lean under the prevailing conditions to be ignited by the plugs, so it accumulates in the exhaust system until it spontaneously ignites.

One of the reasons for it I've come across implies it's a compromise between emissions and drivability at very small throttle openings and tip-in. I would think modern fuel injection systems would be able to overcome this, but I know of at least two elite tuners that haven't been able to dial it out of two different V2s (with catted exhaust systems) that I know of...

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, Raven/Ebony; Harley Fatboy; Harley Ultra-Classic
509 Posts
I have a full B&B system on my V1 - LT headers, catless front pipes and "touring" style exhaust with center resonators. I have never had a hint of a backfire, which I would definitely find annoying if it occurred. Then again, Jesse Bubb of Wait4Me Performance did my tune, and I think he's the best in the biz, based on my experience and a lot of accounts here.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
I have a full B&B system - LT headers, catless front pipes and "touring" style exhaust with center resonators. I have never had a hint of a backfire, which I would definitely find annoying if it occurred. Then again, Jesse Bubb of Wait4Me Performance did my tune, and I think he's the best in the biz, based on my experience and a lot of accounts here.
So no cats at all? That explains a lot...

·
Registered
509 Posts

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
It is to do with Decel fuel cut off usually. Your tuner can make changes so it dont do it. Usually it is from when the car shuts off fuel, then comes back in quickly and ignites on its own without spark, until temps get back in line within miliseconds..

G

·
This was what I really disliked about the B&B system. It has the pop/crack sound and is just awful. Many exhausts do this when cold, but goes away quickly. This pop/crack feature seems built in permanently to the B&B system for their signature sound. I didn't like that.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies, I will have the car tuned when I swap my pulley so hopefully that will remedy most of it.....if not i'll have an exhaust for sale!!!lol. I love the sound otherwise tho, I think they did it just rite, not too loud but still aggressive enough.

·
Registered
509 Posts
This was what I really disliked about the B&B system. It has the pop/crack sound and is just awful. Many exhausts do this when cold, but goes away quickly. This pop/crack feature seems built in permanently to the B&B system for their signature sound. I didn't like that.
It's definitely not an inherent trait of the B&B system - I have a full B&B set-up and get no pop/crack at all.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine pops and burbles under deceleration but I thought they were known for that.
I dont mind it under deceleration but when upshifting through the gears its annonying. Do you have an auto or manual?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Borla sounds good, I might have to switch to that setup if this issue cannot be cured.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts