Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
04 CTS Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO.... I am driving home last night and I notice that the won't shift/accelerate quickly. I pull up to a red light, light turns green, I step on the accelerator and it just revs (automatic transmission) and then a clutch burning smell and smoke appear from the hood. Put the hazards on, pop the hood and there is oil everywhere appearing to be coming from the passenger side of the radiator. It has pooled up under the car at this point. I stick my fingers in the pool to see what the fluid looks like, it looks clear with a brownish tint to it (it was pitch black, all i had was an iPhone flashlight. My first thought is.... engine oil (which doesn't make sense because the car runs fine, just won't drive) I check the oil anyways, its fine. So my next clue is that it is obviously tranny fluid but I am so used to cars using the cherry juice that idk.. .didnt seem right. Get it towed, start reading online and saw that the cooler line failing at the radiator is a common issue. Some say you have to get a new radiator, some say you don't. I had to work early today so I haven't really had a chance to look at it... My question to yens is what am I looking for? like how will I know if I need a new radiator or not? Any help would be much obliged. Car is an 04 CTS with 67,000

·
Registered
629 Posts
Classic trans cooler failure. Unless you have trans fluid in you coolant you don't need a new radiator. Get an quality external trans cooler (which is still cheaper than a new radiator) hook it up drop your trans pan, replace the filter and put all new fluid in it. As long as you didn't run too long without fluid you should be okay.

·
Registered
04 CTS Sport
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a Hayden 1240. Trying to find someone with a write up on here... Can't find one. Anyone else know of one/how to do it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts