Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XTS luxury, 1995 Sedan Deville Base 4.9 l
95 Posts
I believe this is correct. My fwd XTS has electric power steering, and as such does not use power steering fluid. AWD models have hydraulic systems.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I did test drive both, and could not tell any difference in steering. The FWD version does allow options of automatic park assist, and lane keep assist, where the AWD equipped cars do not offer these options

·
Registered
Looking at XTS Premium/Platinum
147 Posts
I did test drive both, and could not tell any difference in steering. The FWD version does allow options of automatic park assist, and lane keep assist, where the AWD equipped cars do not offer these options
I think you mean lane departure warning?

And, to my knowledge, that is available with AWD?

·
Registered
95 Posts
AWD offers lane departure warning but not lane keep assist. Only FWD offers lane keep assist, which will steer you back into your lane if your vehicle starts to veer out of the lane.

·
Registered
147 Posts
AWD offers lane departure warning but not lane keep assist. Only FWD offers lane keep assist, which will steer you back into your lane if your vehicle starts to veer out of the lane.
I cannot find "lane keep assist" anywhere in either of the 2013 or 2014 XTS brochures...?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't know when it was introduced. But my 2016 FWD has lane keep assist, which is only available on the FWD, and not available on the AWD. It was one of the reasons I went with the FWD version.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know when it was introduced. But my 2016 FWD has lane keep assist, which is only available on the FWD, and not available on the AWD. It was one of the reasons I went with the FWD version.
It appears to have started in the 2015 model...

So for an extra $6,000 to get AWD - you lose electric steering, automatic parking assists, and lane keep assist...

What the h*ll...?

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's the way it is. So far I really like my FWD and It's features. The real test will be this winter and driving on snow covered roads.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That's the way it is. So far I really like my FWD and It's features. The real test will be this winter and driving on snow covered roads.
The Lincoln MKS does all of that and AWD.

Lincoln to do all of that - but Cadillac can't?!

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,727 Posts
Because true driver's cars use hydraulic vs electric steering. Not to say the XTS is a performance car, but we got to take a detour off I-77 in South Carolina mountains on 20-30 mph switchbacks and I thought my VSport was a delight to drive and steering very direct to response.

·
Banned
2013 XTS + 2011 SRX4
21 Posts
Soo my standard 2013 FWD has hydraulic power steering w electric assist.. and does require power steering fluid under the hood. Maintenance is listed in manual.. im just posting this becuase people will look at old post and end up neglating Maintenance on a item that was said to be non existent by a forum member that "knows all".

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,624 Posts
Soo my standard 2013 FWD has hydraulic power steering w electric assist.. and does require power steering fluid under the hood. Maintenance is listed in manual.. im just posting this becuase people will look at old post and end up neglating Maintenance on a item that was said to be non existent by a forum member that "knows all".
That does not seem to be the case. I checked the '13 manual and it says that FWD does not need fluid, but the AWD versions do:

Power Steering Fluid
(LFX with FWD)
The vehicle has electric power
steering and does not use power
steering fluid
Power Steering Fluid
(LF3 and LFX with AWD)
The power steering fluid reservoir is
under the engine cover on the
passenger side toward the rear of
the engine compartment. See
Engine Compartment Overview on
page 10-5

·
Registered
2013 XTS4 Platinum '91 Caprice Wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)
649 Posts
My '13 XTS awd has the power steering reservoir under the engine cover. Wife's '15 Impala fwd has electric P/S. I'll keep that in mind next time I drive the Impy to see if I can tell any difference. Though, the Chevy has 20's compared to my 18" wheels and is 400 lbs lighter so it's apples and oranges, really.

·
Banned
2013 XTS + 2011 SRX4
21 Posts
That does not seem to be the case. I checked the '13 manual and it says that FWD does not need fluid, but the AWD versions do:

Power Steering Fluid
(LFX with FWD)
The vehicle has electric power
steering and does not use power
steering fluid
Power Steering Fluid
(LF3 and LFX with AWD)
The power steering fluid reservoir is
under the engine cover on the
passenger side toward the rear of
the engine compartment. See
Engine Compartment Overview on
page 10-5
Oh How I love/hate forums..
C'Mon Xcalibur as long as youve been around these forums...smh @ negating my post with an excerpt from an online manual lib.

I can post a picture/video of my standard fwd's power steering res.. located under the engine cover in my dirty engine bay( im convinced im carrying around a pound of dirt under there)... is the res there for show or freak car build?... Idk lol.. But im sure I drive a 2013 standard trim FWD xts which does have a res full of fluid. I do not have park assist.. Since you checked the '13 manual online..have you check all of versions them(including paperback manual) for the various inconsistencies? The standard xts is rare and not well documented even when it was new.

Vehicle manuals and build sheets are notorious for misinformation, just like these forums habor mis-informed people who are ready to spread bad information. My build sheet says i have cornering lights and adaptive cruise(i have dynamic cruise:brakes itself at speed) I know i dont have either or even have front sensors. And if I went by that instead of checking the components myself then I would be misguided/misinformed on my own vehicle. It does say i have power steering with electric assist which is correct.

Its said in these forums you cannot seamlessly integrate backup camera/video connection with existing CUE or change brake/drl lights without removing bumper and that is all hot bologna, but people are stuck on what they "think" and what theyre told by service advisors..

Also when I mentioned maintenance is in the manual. That was not to say it would differentiate all model combinations, but just if you(reader) look under YOUR hood and see a power steering res, then the manual tells you what fluid to use for the model. I posted to detract from "opinions" like yours. I am opposed to generalizing possibilities as a standard based on "read literature" instead of hands on experience.

20201010_122944.jpg 20201010_123008.jpg

·
Banned
2013 XTS + 2011 SRX4
21 Posts
My '13 XTS awd has the power steering reservoir under the engine cover. Wife's '15 Impala fwd has electric P/S. I'll keep that in mind next time I drive the Impy to see if I can tell any difference. Though, the Chevy has 20's compared to my 18" wheels and is 400 lbs lighter so it's apples and oranges, really.
Hey how did you get 18" wheels? Are they from a cts or something? I would love 18s for the winter months.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,624 Posts
Oh How I love/hate forums..
C'Mon Xcalibur as long as youve been around these forums...smh @ negating my post with an excerpt from an online manual lib.

I can post a picture/video of my standard fwd's power steering res.. located under the engine cover in my dirty engine bay( im convinced im carrying around a pound of dirt under there)... is the res there for show or freak car build?... Idk lol.. But im sure I drive a 2013 standard trim FWD xts which does have a res full of fluid. I do not have park assist.. Since you checked the '13 manual online..have you check all of versions them(including paperback manual) for the various inconsistencies? The standard xts is rare and not well documented even when it was new.

Vehicle manuals and build sheets are notorious for misinformation, just like these forums habor mis-informed people who are ready to spread bad information. My build sheet says i have cornering lights and adaptive cruise(i have dynamic cruise:brakes itself at speed) I know i dont have either or even have front sensors. And if I went by that instead of checking the components myself then I would be misguided/misinformed on my own vehicle. It does say i have power steering with electric assist which is correct.

Its said in these forums you cannot seamlessly integrate backup camera/video connection with existing CUE or change brake/drl lights without removing bumper and that is all hot bologna, but people are stuck on what they "think" and what theyre told by service advisors..

Also when I mentioned maintenance is in the manual. That was not to say it would differentiate all model combinations, but just if you(reader) look under YOUR hood and see a power steering res, then the manual tells you what fluid to use for the model. I posted to detract from "opinions" like yours. I am opposed to generalizing possibilities as a standard based on "read literature" instead of hands on experience.

View attachment 588649 View attachment 588650
Eh, mine is not an 'opinion' but backed up by the '13 - '15 and '19 manuals. I read them to compare in case an error had been made, but nope, they all say the same and so I gave my findings in the post. When I state something I am careful as to wording ie. if it was my opinion or that of others I say so, If I am not sure on something, I say so, if I don't know, I say so. You mentioned the manual and power steering vs electric which got me interested in what I have, ergo I checked several MY manuals including my own. They ALL say the same as what I quoted in my post.

Hey, maybe you have an AWD, especially since you state that your build sheet is wrong on some items.

You say you have, then you have it...I'm not saying what you see is wrong, but there has to be some logical explanation since FWD XTS's are said not to have it.

·
Banned
2013 XTS + 2011 SRX4
21 Posts
Eh, mine is not an 'opinion' but backed up by the '13 - '15 and '19 manuals. I read them to compare in case an error had been made, but nope, they all say the same and so I gave my findings in the post. When I state something I am careful as to wording ie. if it was my opinion or that of others I say so, If I am not sure on something, I say so, if I don't know, I say so. You mentioned the manual and power steering vs electric which got me interested in what I have, ergo I checked several MY manuals including my own. They ALL say the same as what I quoted in my post.

Hey, maybe you have an AWD, especially since you state that your build sheet is wrong on some items.

You say you have, then you have it...I'm not saying what you see is wrong, but there has to be some logical explanation since FWD XTS's are said not to have it.

Ok. Forgive me , i apologize if i offended you by saying opinion. I said its your opinion becuase it is your belief based of the manual's lack of inclusion and not a hard fact. So yes I understand your point "XTS's are said to not have it"

Yes I did mention the manual..you keep missing that I said maintenance for said item is in the manual.

The logical explanation: The standard(base if you want to call it that) fwd XTS vehicles at my dealership (US) did/do not have electric steering. The standard fwd switched to electric power steering as of MY14.. the standard 13s like mine use hydraulic power steering electric assisted. The manual did not include this rare pokemon, idk maybe it wouldve caused too much confusion(3rd factor)? Most buyers opted for livery,luxury and up where these details you show from the manual apply spot on.

No i do not have AWD. LOL My next picture could be of the underside of the car.. but i really don't care that much to go out again and get on the ground to prove a point. The real point is to others reading is know whats under your hood by looking. They really don't expect you to work on your car anyway. Cadillac lives off of service. The owner's manual isnt 100% correct or thorough.

Now... show me the '13 service manual !
Just kidding

1 - 20 of 40 Posts