Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering trading in my 2006 RWD STS for a 2008 AWD STS, both V8. What I love about my RWD 06 is all the power that it has. Does the AWD V8 model have the same power?

Thanks,

Max

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,478 Posts
Same HP/Torque but it's split 60/40 in favor of the rear, you'll lose some speed as I believe the AWD is a hair slower 0-60 wise...I'd stick with the RWD especially considering you're in CA where AWD isn't exactly necessary. Unless of course the cosmetics of the 2008+ changes things, I do like the rear valance of the 08+ models, I'm not so high on the newer grill though or those tacky side vents.

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh wow. I didn't realize I would lose speed. I'm not specifically looking for AWD but the vehicle I came across just happens to be AWD & also a Platinum Edition. It's hard to find a good used STS equipped like you want it. Most of them are fleet vehicles without a lot of options. Although, having my RWD 06 STS, I've often wished I had AWD because it is so squirrely in the rain.

Max

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V Coupe M6, '05 1SG STS4 V8
377 Posts
You'll also lose some mpg switching to awd. Although you're also going from 5 speed to 6 speed so that helps a little.

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not too worried about the MPG. It's so bad in my car now a few MPG's won't make much of a difference! lol

Max

·
Registered
2005 cadillac STS AWD 1SG
531 Posts
if it in really good shape and platinum trim awd or rwd not a big deal in CA.
awd would less fun but will add traction during heavy rain.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
While you may not need AWD in CA .. the fact that it is a platinum would be worth it.
Make sure it is a REAL platinum and look for "W21" RPO code option, along with leather stitching on the dash and center console and the alcantara headliner.

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It definitely has the option. I just don't think it has that headliner. I think someone said that started in 2009.

W21 - PLATINUM EDITION: * 18" CHROME ALUMINUM WHEELS (REPLACES STD/OPT WHEELS) * UNIQUE GRILLE * CHROME DOOR HANDLE INSERTS * EXTERIOR BADGE AND DOOR SILL PLATES WITH "PLATINUM" LOGO * LEATHER WRAPPED INTERIOR * OLIVE ASH WOOD TRIM WITH SADDLE STAIN (REPLACES SAPELE WOOD TRIM) * INTERIOR CHROME ACCENTS * PREMIUM FLOOR MATS * PREMIUM TUSCANY LEATHER SEATS (REPLACES NUANCE LEATHER)
While you may not need AWD in CA .. the fact that it is a platinum would be worth it.
Make sure it is a REAL platinum and look for "W21" RPO code option, along with leather stitching on the dash and center console and the alcantara headliner.
----------

You are right! We haven't had to worry about it too much lately but when we do get that downpour, that car fishtails like crazy! lol

Max

They haven't had to worry about heavy rain in CA lately! Maybe Fresno's wetter.

·
Registered
2015 XTS AWD - Black inside and out
286 Posts
the AWD is so great to have here is the Midwest. Traction taking off from a light is nice to have. get the RWD if your in CA.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Have you driven it?

I'd expect those two cars to vary so much with differences in gear ratio, transmission & suspension. I doubt you'd be unhappy, but they may feel different and feel is a personal thing.

I notice my wife's 2007 RWD w' 6-speed & 2.73 often downshifts 1 or even 2 gears when I jump on the throttle when my 2006 5-speed AWD (3.23) is already in the power band and doesn't down shift as much. You might experience the reverse with the 6-speed AWD.

·
Registered
2016 XTS FWD Platinum
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up biting the bullet & making the trade! The suspension does a little different as the car itself feels heavier. I haven't noticed too much about the transmission yet. I've been real busy since bringing it home at 2am the morning! I'm off work tomorrow so I plan on having a little more fun with it then.

Max

1 - 14 of 14 Posts