Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
escalade cts-v
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 2005 or 2006 cadillac sts I was was wondering does the V8 with AWD accelerate 0-60 slower than the V8 with RWD?

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Obviously, it has more weight as well as power transfer to 4 wheels rather than 2, 0-60 for the V8 RWD is 5.5 and AWD I believe is 6.0 if memory serves me right.
However with AWD you dont have to worry about it going sideways in the rain and snow nearly as much.
If you already have an STS-V why buy an STS V8 for speed, buy the 4 for a DD as it holds the road like a train on rails.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
The RWD is fine in snow with snow tires. Without snow tires, the RWD STS can be a handful for some drivers.

I'd advise AWD if you'll be driving in snow on a regular basis and/or don't want to swap on Summer tires. If this car is going to see a lot of snow, AWD is great.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,957 Posts
Unless you're running slicks, AWD will get the jump on RWD at the stoplight. The launch of an AWD STS is brutal. Do not brake check and try to build torque with throttle. The torque management system will pull both spark and throttle. Go from brake to throttle as the light changes. Let it roll out and nail it. There aren't many vehicles that can stay with you at the jump and that includes crotch rockets.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2005
811 Posts
AWD if u want the best traction possible for your caddy. I love my rwd tho. I just always loved the v8 power on a rwd, lighting up the tires, or fishtailing the rear in a turn like im drifting. its fun, but only done alone and with no one around :D

·
Registered
2016 Escalade Luxury, 2000 Corvette
516 Posts
I have had both and think the awd is a better performing vehicle. The rwd was pretty bad on wet surfaces.

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
320 Posts
I've always seen the 0-60 for the RWD V8 quoted at right around 6.0s. And the AWD slightly slower. I've never timed myself though so who knows. It's a very valid point though about wet conditions making the AWD better, dispite slightly slower times in ideal conditions.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade Luxury, 2000 Corvette
516 Posts
Adding to my post from before, if I lived in the south I would probably stick with rwd. However, I would be looking at a V.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts