Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 escalade EXT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Escalade EXT. The awd system has been acting strange lately and I dont know why. I know this sounds very strange but when
im driving it locks in 4wd when I make left turns and comes out of 4wd when making right turns. I first noticed this about a week ago when
the truck suddenly started pulling to the right while driving. At first I thought it was a slack tire but when I made a right turn it was gone.
This happened time and time again over a week. Sometimes I would stop and make a sharp right turn to make it come out. I know it was in
4wd at these times because when I make left turns it was binding up and you can feel it and here the tires cherpping and skidding.

Today was the first day that we had now in a week and the truck would not engage 4wd when the rear tires slipped. I tried it over and over
again and sometimes it would lock in but most times it would not.

Do anybody know what I should look for or had the same thing happen to them?

Thank You

·
Registered
171 Posts
rear limit slip diff. try to replace diff fluid but proper one for limited slip diff. I did at dealer for 200 bucks with 10% discount. GM recommendation do every 40,000 miles for rear diff with LSD.

·
Registered
Raven EXT
27 Posts
I had this happen the other day. I stopped in some deep snow and gave it some gas. The awd kicked in. Then when I circled the parking lot on the asphalt I could feel it was locked in, the rear inside tire was slipping as I turned left. It eventually unlocked as well perhaps due to turning right when leaving the parking lot. On another note, I also noticed with traction control and stability control 'off' that I am able to do a 'brake stand' on the snow or ice. I only did it out of curiosity and didn't spin the rear tires very fast at all. Then when I step on the gas to take off just the rear tires spin. All other times the awd system works absolutely flawlessly. I'm wondering; with traction and stability control turned off maybe the transfer case doesn't feel the full torque due to the rear tires spinning freely so stability control does not engage the brakes on the spinning tires and transferring torque to the front tires. Not sure if this could have anything to do with the awd locking but maybe it is related. Hopefully someone else who has experienced this can chime in.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
I thought AWD is a totally different setup than 4WD. Meaning with 4WD, you need to select it.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
2007 to 2014 regular non hybrid escalades were AWD. The only 4wd escalades were the hybrid models.

12,778 Posts
I have a 2007 Escalade EXT. The awd system has been acting strange lately and I dont know why. I know this sounds very strange but when
im driving it locks in 4wd when I make left turns and comes out of 4wd when making right turns. I first noticed this about a week ago when
the truck suddenly started pulling to the right while driving. At first I thought it was a slack tire but when I made a right turn it was gone.
This happened time and time again over a week. Sometimes I would stop and make a sharp right turn to make it come out. I know it was in
4wd at these times because when I make left turns it was binding up and you can feel it and here the tires cherpping and skidding.

Today was the first day that we had now in a week and the truck would not engage 4wd when the rear tires slipped. I tried it over and over
again and sometimes it would lock in but most times it would not.

Do anybody know what I should look for or had the same thing happen to them?

Thank You
Hey Justin,

We understand that you're probably looking to troubleshoot this yourself, but if you'd like to get your vehicle checked out at a Cadillac dealership, let us know as we'd be happy to provide that extra layer of customer care. Please send us a message with your contact info, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership if that's something you'd like to do.

Cheers,

Geoff G.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
How may miles on your truck? When was the diff oil changed last? Sounds like you have a diff going back, not uncommon if you do not change the fluid and have high miles.

·
Registered
2007 escalade EXT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The truck has over 200k miles and i never did change the diff oil. I will change it and hopefully that works. Thank you to everybody for your help.

----------

I will change the front and back diff oil buy just wondering what one would cause this problem or could it be both

·
Registered
2007 escalade EXT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I will check it out. But would that cause the 4wd to not work in the snow and then start working like it did the other day? Also lock in while driving. when on the high way at high speed when it happens it pulls to the right so hard that is could cause you to lose control.

thanks again i will replace the oil asap

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
It could cause the pulling and the binding, the all wheel drive working and not working sounds more like a transfer case issue check that fluid too

----------

Differential fluids are replaced at 100k miles.
The ones we replace usually have less miles than that, they are out of warranty by date and most owners have never replaced the fluid causing the problem, very small diffs for this size truck, they hold half of my 2500 HD diffs, and heat is the killer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts