Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 cts-v coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a brand new '15 cts-v coupe and plug a 16g (14g used) sd card reader into its aux/usb port to play mp3/wma tunes. for the most part it works ok but there are at least 3 problems with this non-cue system.

1. the very first tune plays for a only few seconds and never completes before the next tune (2) is played.
  2. there are some other mp3/wma files that only play partially much like the 1st.
  3. random play seems limited to "songs" and "folder" although it appears that artist, album and genre should work as well.
i've brought this problem to my dealer's (hendrick caddy in cary, nc) attention but service seems a bit aloof and dismissive. it's not even clear to me if the issue will be even be addressed. i believe it's a software issue since the exact same behavior described in the 1st item above happens in another '15 cts-v coupe.

for those that believe it could be a personal problem, please consider the following:
1. i have 2 usb card readers with 16g sd cards and both fail in the cts.
2. both work fine in the lexus and on several different computers.
3. i've spoken to a sharon with gm's infotainment call center and while it started well, after several calls it became clear that she's clueless. had to always get back to me after a question and would ALWAYS come back with what i needed to try and NEVER concede that GM would attempt to recreate the problem. GM's still a damn joke!

there are other issues with how it handles an incoming bt call and delays with the screen change after the call ends. as of today, my service guy said they did apply the latest update but that did not resolve the top 3 list items. worse, he couldn't tell me what issues the new update resolved. what a joke.

has anyone experienced this?

this just in. . . i had my first service on weds and my service rep (good guy) said that they put some software upgrade on. well, the only that changed was the loss of the "traffic" tab associated with the nav screen. it was fine before the upgrade - or did they just downgrade me for complaining? perhaps this my punishment for being emotional and stupidly buying from a company that went bankrupt?

. . . thank goodness for the vehicle's stellar performance.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V estate
1,240 Posts
Realistically, any bugs in the system aren't going to get fixed on this pre-bankruptcy pre-CUE Windows-embedded out-of-production system, so if you're sure you've gotten the latest available code you should probably focus on figuring out workarounds.

There's probably something specific about the files that won't play right, something that triggers a bug. Do they have something in common? Can you re-rip them?

I played with MP3s on a USB stick for a couple hours. It works, but it doesn't seem very scalable, navigation is limited, and it's kind of pokey. I use an iPod instead. The system navigates an iPod much better and faster than a USB stick.

·
Registered
2015 cts-v coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Realistically, any bugs in the system aren't going to get fixed on this pre-bankruptcy pre-CUE Windows-embedded out-of-production system, so if you're sure you've gotten the latest available code you should probably focus on figuring out workarounds.

There's probably something specific about the files that won't play right, something that triggers a bug. Do they have something in common? Can you re-rip them?

I played with MP3s on a USB stick for a couple hours. It works, but it doesn't seem very scalable, navigation is limited, and it's kind of pokey. I use an iPod instead. The system navigates an iPod much better and faster than a USB stick.
well, while it may be post-bankruptcy (it's a coupe) your words have a logical veracity, so i won't quibble. being a bit of a hacker, i was hoping we'd get some insight here as to whether the code is open source to effect a fix but i recognize that's highly unlikely. i've got some 14g / 3k files on this thing so, i'm not very inclined to do much but i hear ya! keep in mind, if i unplug and replug, the file that had partially played before will then play in its entirety.

i did run into some guy with an '11 and he said he made every tune the same freq and bit rate and that solved it for him. i can also tell u that on one call, sharon advised to format the sd card and reload. that made a remarkable diff towards the positive. it also seems to like the files copied sequentially. so if i run 2 or more copy tasks, to get the files on, the problem is exacerbated. so i'm thinking the driver doesn't handle fiel frags very well - still, it's all conjecture.

so the problem is frustrating but tolerable. i'd rather suffer with the occasional glitch than cable-in with the 5s.

it's sad that gm still can't get there from here. it's likely my last american vehicle. the previous was a slightly used '94 sts. that pup began to leak right after a caddy campaign to stop the leaks in the n-star. 21 yrs later how much has changed?

just got back in from service and they had messed up. after the update, and it's not clear what that update fixed, i had no sat interface. they had to go back in and tweak. now i'm back to the original problem till i find sumpin' else.

so while i agree with you in principal, i must continue to bitch, if for no other reason than it being caddy's most expensive car that comes from the factory broke. now that's some sad commentary, especially when u realize the problem dates back to at the 2011 models. WOW!

thanks again, though

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V estate
1,240 Posts
"It's sad that GM still can't get there from here." I don't think that's fair. It's a MY2008 system. There's a huge chasm between "here" and "there" both in terms of that system's technology and what's current, and generally where Cadillac was when they made the CTS-V and where they are now. You bought a performance bargain created by Old GM -- you're being unfair if you're holding it to present-day full-price market leader standards. Nobody had all their infotainment sh*t together in 2008, and it's something everyone still struggles with -- not just out of the box, but debugging over time.

Of course, you could look at Cadillac's recalcitrance with respect to CUE -- do they really think if they stick with it long enough that people will come around, or are they still incapable of responding to the market in a less-than-platform-generation timeframe? -- and draw the conclusion that they're still a half-decade or more from "getting it" but they're doing so many other things right, I'd argue your next vehicle purchase should consider the options for what they are, not for what their manufacturers used to be. And if your dealer's clumsy, are you in too remote a location to just try another one?

And BTW, it's not Cadillac's most expensive vehicle -- have you priced an Escalade lately?

But don't be afraid to bitch -- pointing out the little glitches keeps us all humble :)

·
Registered
2015 cts-v coupe
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so jinx, it seems that u do have more than just a "cue" (couldn't resist) on the woes and inner piece parts of gm vehicles. i didn't know it dated back to some '08 version. that's great info but my issue is about fixing what u put out and what i paid fer, k. that the tech lags is not my issue. so let's get to the other part.

gm / ford / chrys were world leaders in auto sales and they watched it melt away primarily due to arrogance and greed; ok, union-mentality didn't help once they became firmly rooted (mature). they continue to manufacture and knowingly sell defective stuff. the gm ignition thing is just one most recent example.

so are they alone? course not but, for my $$, i got rooked on a problem that dates back several yrs. my frustration is compounded by an infotainment helpless desk that pretends that it's a personal problem and i'm the only one. hell, my sales guy has a similar issue in his '11 coupe. their ws thinks i have a cue system in this car! the owners manual has a complete section missing. there's no way you will be able to read about pairing in the '15 owner's manual, k. u have to use the '14. btw, it took 6 calls before gm acknowledged that oops! from a corp perspective, this comedy of errors is inexcusable.

i would also argue that lexus understands. i had a problem with usb card readers blowin' up. they worked with me. even engineering was contacted! with additional testing, i found that there are tolerance issues with these readers that the toyota hk systems are sensitive to. i began trying diff reader brands and and it's works fine now. point is they involved me with the fix. that's why the ls is still here and why the last caddy was a '94!

jinx, these issues appear to be software related and as such, they can be readily addressed. lets face it, gm assembles but the tier (bose) should be held accountable for the fix. gm can price things so low that warranties from the tier may not exist. whatever, as a buyer, i expect it to work as designed. my worry is that gm is trying to sell me that it's designed to NOT work properly. that may be closer to the truth.

for the record, the cts-v IS the most expensive "car" as distinguished from the truck. if u look back, i wrote car - "vehicle" was your term. we're gettin' a tad nitty here, now ain't we?

i think u make a valid point here but, i'm curious about your premise as to why the code hasn't and more importantly is unlikely to be fixed? they certainly updated something with their laptop plugged into the usb (i'm assuming) yesterday. . . . then fixed the xm feature that went away after i brought it back this am.

peace

·
Registered
2013 CTS-V estate
1,240 Posts
Unlikely to be fixed because a few people have complained over a few years now about similar playback issues with specific MP3 files, but nobody's said they were asked for a copy of their USB stick and nobody's said their issue was fixed. I posit that Cadillac considers it a fringe issue not worth pursuing. BTW, if your sales guy has a similar issue in his coupe, why isn't he pursuing a fix? Make the dealer work for you :)

And don't assume their ability to provide updates for one bit of code implies an equal ability to fix any bug in any part of the code. The guy who wrote that code is almost certainly long gone, and it might not even be GM's code but that of a supplier. MP3 isn't new technology, and they probably just strung together layers of libraries that date back as far as the mid-90s. The particular problem might even be embedded in hardware.

And yes, you're picking nits to differentiate car from truck. The real point is that you think spending $70K changes the level of quality of the infotainment component in a car that first sold for $40K. If you think the bug shouldn't exist in the $40K car either, then stop using the "most expensive" complaint and say what you mean. Few things are more annoyingly misguided than expecting a high-performance car to match the non-performance features of non-performance cars that cost the same. Neither performance nor luxury are free lunches. So please don't be one of those guys.

Lexus understands luxury. They're crazy-dedicated to the customer experience. They also didn't build anything like the CTS-V. (They tried once, sort of, and got damning faint praise.) Mercedes does a pretty good job, but the AMG E wasn't no seventy thousand.*

You can argue that the CTS-V isn't enough to match the best, but it doesn't cost as much as the best so it's unrealistic to expect the best. (Of course, the third-gen V isn't so cheap, nor is the base car, and so they must be better.)

*Obligatory reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki8KblCCOuA

Now if you think you've found someone who'll get your problem in front of someone who can fix it, and you think it's worth it, go for it. Me, I'd spend hours trying to reverse-engineer a workaround once I found out the latest code didn't fix it. But if I couldn't make my own workaround, I'd push the dealer to act as my agent until they gave me a flat "no" response. I wouldn't waste time on the phone with a help desk when I have a dealer.

·
Registered
2011 Diamond Pearl Tricoat A6 Sedan
396 Posts
I haven't read this entire post so it may have already been stated but it will only read MP3 at 128 or 256...... Sorry can't remember the suffix, bit or Meg's or whatever but you have to convert the MP3 to 128 in order to play from the hdd or usb. A free audio converter is available called coincidentally free audio converter in a Google search.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts