Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a significant amount of searching online and withing these forums, but maybe it wasn't enough.

I have an '03 CTS w/ Bose, NO NAV, and NO XM.

I also currently have the Harmon/Kardon Drive + Play installed, however I currently have it running through an FM MODULATOR direct connect. I'm interested in switching it to run directly through the stock deck via an AUX INPUT. In previous cars of mine I have been able to purchase converters that took the stock cd changer and created an AUX for iPods.

My question is..has anyone tried anything, or does anyone have any solutions/products to create an AUX Input from the stock stereo?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Cadillac
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I know a bunch of people have been asking it, and I've been searching but I haven't been able to find anything :(

·
Registered
CTS 05
716 Posts
i wonder if all radios are XM ready? The difference being that the xm module is not installed in the back for certain models....but the radio itself may be the same all around....

if i were you i would check the wires on the back of the radio after you read the following post by krafty1

bypassed-my-xm-ipod-works

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
i wonder if all radios are XM ready? The difference being that the xm module is not installed in the back for certain models....but the radio itself may be the same all around....

if i were you i would check the wires on the back of the radio after you read the following post by krafty1

I haven't taken my 03 apart to look at the wires, but I know there is no xm band selection choice. I don't see how this could work on an 03.

-GT

·
Registered
2003 CTS
228 Posts

Actually I just ran into a problem with my aux install that will give some more info on this. I have an 03 non xm, non bose, non nav CTS. I put a 05 nav that is XM ready into it and planned to use the XM outputs to install an aux for an ipod. The instructions are on the cadillacfaq website. Got everything installed and took it up to lindsay to be unlocked, thought for sure everything would go smooth as I followed the instructions exactly.

The problem apparently is that to unlock XM the power wire has to be running to a satellite module or something with a similar signal. When the car starts it checks that connection to the module for the XM band.

Without that connection there is no way to unlock the XM band, so without a module (even if it isn't used) the XM band cannot be unlocked. So without a module having a XM capable radio will not help much.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2003 CTS
74 Posts
i have a Kenwood kos-a200 installed.
Here check it out, this might do the trick:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=61&k3=220&pr=2684
I run my ipod off this directly through my oem deck.

wow, i feel like i work for kenwood promoting the sh*t outta this piece lol.
looking at the features of the KOS-A200:

* FM Modulator/Controller/RDS Encoder Interfaces with most Factory Radios
* Connects via Antenna to Any Radio with RDS
* Connect USB-based product, 5 L bus type product or Auxiliary Inputs
* Add iPod and USB storage devices, Satellite & HD Radio to existing System
* Add Kenwood CD Players, Changers, Audio for DVD Players
* Displays text (Artist, Album) Information on the Factory Stereo
* Displays ID3 tag information from MP3 Players

Is this fm modulated too?

·
Registered
Cadillac
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it is, that defeats the purpose of it's original post.

I still am up in the air as to what product I should purchase to hook up my iPod via AUX with the harmon/kardon drive+play :( Please advise!

·
Registered
CTS 05
716 Posts
I haven't taken my 03 apart to look at the wires, but I know there is no xm band selection choice. I don't see how this could work on an 03.

-GT
hmmm, not having an XM band may only mean you are not using it.....

One way to find out is to ask the dealer. Another is to look for the wiring and connecting an ipod (or the likes) and seeing what happens....according to another post, it works like a charm....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts