Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will AutoZone hook there computer up to my 88 eldo??? My mechanics computer only goes back 15yrs... I really don't want to take it to the dealer

·
Registered
244 Posts
They did for me. But you can access most of the codes yourself by pressing the OFF and WARMER buttons simultaneously. That will help you get your trouble codes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I could save the money I would rather go to autozone

Is the computer that they would there is the same as the one they would use at the cadilliac dealer?

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
It is not the same but it will give the codes that light the Service Engine Light.
The GM tester is much more complex and some is proprietary.

Autozone only sells parts. They read the code for free.

·
Registered
244 Posts
but like I say you can read the codes yourself by pressing the climate off and warm buttons and it will give you the readout. you can look the codes up here as to what they meen

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are no codes that come up, no check engine light nothing just as if everything was fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There’s just no "power" when you step on the gas it will slowly accelerate but it won't GO like a v8 should.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Forget the dealer. I asked DeSimone Cadillac in Mount Laurel NJ to take a look at a stalling problem on my 90 eldo with 32k original miles and the said "we shy away from cars that old". Real Nice, GM makes something and 15 years later the wont even touch it. Thanks to Rick at Russ Auto in cherry hill NJ my problem was only a bad ECM. If a dealer can't/won't troubleshoot a bad ECM what good are they.....

·
Registered
108 Posts
that's pretty harsh - guess I can expect the same glowing reception should I enter dealer-space with my '92. Interesting - I have a cousin who is service manager at a MB dealer on the main line outside of Philadelphia - they show no bias towards older vehicles - you come in there with a 1966 diesel MB that needs attention and they're more than happy to accomodate! That is nice of your local "Mr. Badwrench!" -

Steve

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
My dealer wasn't biased against my 95, then again it is still a northstar. I should try taking the 75 down there for some kind of service. My friend took his 76 Continental Town Coupe to the Lincoln dealer here and they worked on it, in fact they somehow got it to pass emissions (and managed to leave a timing light under the hood as an unintentional present to my friend.)

·
Registered
10,429 Posts
tb582 said:
There’s just no "power" when you step on the gas it will slowly accelerate but it won't GO like a v8 should.
Not knowing what you may have had done in the last few years;

It sounds like you need an old fashioned tune-up. If it were mine I would replace the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. Then I would clean the throttle body (you can do a search here on that and find all the information you need to get it done. Very simple and effective proceedure.) and replace the fuel and air filters.

All of these things can be done relatively easily with a few basic tools. The spark plugs between the engine and firewall can be a challenge to get to but not as bad as some say in my opinion.

These simple tasks should improve your performance and fuel economy very nicely.

PS. The code reader at Autozone won't tell you anything more than your on board diagnostics will which can be accessed as others have stated by pressing and holding the Off and Warmer buttons simultaneously.

If you can do the work yourself you can probably get good quality parts for under $100, less if you go with cheaper parts. If you have a professional do it for you expect to pay $500 +/-

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
aneldorado2 said:
Forget the dealer. I asked DeSimone Cadillac in Mount Laurel NJ to take a look at a stalling problem on my 90 eldo with 32k original miles and the said "we shy away from cars that old". Real Nice, GM makes something and 15 years later the wont even touch it. Thanks to Rick at Russ Auto in cherry hill NJ my problem was only a bad ECM. If a dealer can't/won't troubleshoot a bad ECM what good are they.....

Tell me about it, I stopped at the Cadilliac of Norwood and they pretty much told me the same thing, they were more than happy to "set me up with someone to talk about trading it in" lol what a joke the dealer is :lies: :lies:

I found a local guy that works on caddy's and it turned out to not be the coverter but the fuel injectors were clogged.

I also found this little history article http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=70530#18 is from 2003 but the pictures are nice :)

·
Super Moderator
86,146 Posts
tb582 said:
Get a fuel pressure gauge with a long hose and tape it to the windshield. What kind of pressure reading do you get at idle, cruise and when you throttle up? My guess would be pressure falls off at throttle up, meaning a failing fuel pump.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Ranger said:
Get a fuel pressure gauge with a long hose and tape it to the windshield. What kind of pressure reading do you get at idle, cruise and when you throttle up? My guess would be pressure falls off at throttle up, meaning a failing fuel pump.
Ranger, are there kits that we can add to our vehicles to have guage that show fuel pressure, oil pressure, etc in the cockpit? maybe on the A Pillars? I've seen them on hondas and things like that aftermarket...thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts