Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
Joined
·
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my first autocross with the Potenza’s, FG2’s and Hotchkis bars this morning. I’ll try to capture what felt like a blur while impressions are still fresh. This was a no points event, and I hadn’t been to one of these since August 14, so my goal was more about evaluation of new components and seat time than pure competition. My times did get better as I got used to the differences and altered my inputs. The times were 55.538, 54.415, 53.159, shaving off a little more than a second each run.

Overall, these three components are a very good combination, but with 11/32nds of tread depth the tires are not competitive in this class. I’ll post my finish (or a link to it) once published. I expect to be at or near the bottom. My best was about a second slower than Kilr Cad’s on bald F1’s and something around 4 seconds slower than best in class (an STi). Most of the others in this class (we all run street legal tires) had tread depths that were closer to 3/32nds.

Bottom-line though, I could point the car where I wanted it to go and that’s where it went. It floats less and steers more precisely. Exiting corners and rolling on the power produced the expected oversteer, but it was easily corrected without drama. Corner entry is something to behold. Understeer is greatly reduced. (In fact I think this is where I lost the most time, I could’ve driven those entries faster.) Body lean in corners is still there but not as pronounced and the suspension is staying under it much better. Slalom response is much better, too. The car stays poised and is less liable to start oscillating the weight.

Well, it’s getting late so I’ll spare you more minutia, but if anyone has questions fire away. I haven’t had the opportunity to test the Potenza’s in the rain yet. When I do I’ll let y’all know how they do.
 

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
Joined
·
12,007 Posts
Sounds sweet. I don't want to hijack, but... does anybody have experience with only the Hotchkis bars and the regular FE4 shocks? I don't want a harsher ride, but I would like to have less lean if I could get it.
 

·
Registered
ZIP
Joined
·
51,864 Posts
lawfive said:
Sounds sweet. I don't want to hijack, but... does anybody have experience with only the Hotchkis bars and the regular FE4 shocks? I don't want a harsher ride, but I would like to have less lean if I could get it.
law, you've got 482whp and you're still a wuss.:bouncy:
 

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
Joined
·
12,007 Posts
Yes.

I routinely haul my wife around town and on multi-hour drives between cities. She's the prototypical anti-enthusiast: for her, it's all about getting from point A to point B in maximum comfort with minimum car-generated noise. What I have now is a nice cross between what I want and what she wants.

I also have no plans to track the car anytime soon... maybe after a stronger differential is available.
 

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
Joined
·
12,007 Posts
27 years and counting, for me. And I am NOT whipped; I can do any goddamned thing I want to do, as long as it's OK with her.
 

·
Registered
04 CTS-V R.I.P.
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
I don't have the FG2 package on my car. I was thinking of buying the hotchkis sway bars for my V. My question is that if I buy the sway bars and have them installed without the fg2.....would It still be worth buying the fg2 after buying the swaybars?
 

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Cali,
Its the minutia that really matters...Great write-up. Its gonna be tough to beat bald F1s, too. Hopefully, no one is using FormulaV...my secret special weapon in street-class.
And forget about the STis, those darn AWD go-carts running 275s...
Keep fighting, and when the tires are worn...FormulaV or VPBite...and shhhhhhhhhh.....

Beast,
Youre better going QA1 if you don't have the FG2s, they are rebound adjustable...and don't need to be modded to use aftermarket springs.
-ace
 

·
Registered
04 CTS-V R.I.P.
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
ace996 said:
Cali,
Its the minutia that really matters...Great write-up. Its gonna be tough to beat bald F1s, too. Hopefully, no one is using FormulaV...my secret special weapon in street-class.
And forget about the STis, those darn AWD go-carts running 275s...
Keep fighting, and when the tires are worn...FormulaV or VPBite...and shhhhhhhhhh.....

Beast,
Youre better going QA1 if you don't have the FG2s, they are rebound adjustable...and don't need to be modded to use aftermarket springs.
-ace
So I can actually use the elbachs lowering kit on the v? part number please!
 

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
For anyone not sure whether or not to upgrade to the FG2s, DO IT!!!!!!! Before any other mod gets done, do youself a favor and install the FG2s. Without a doubt the best mod I have done to my V. More harsh, no. Dramatically.....DRAMATICALLY improved high-speed stability, YES!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
04 CTS-V R.I.P.
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
BowenCT said:
For anyone not sure whether or not to upgrade to the FG2s, DO IT!!!!!!! Before any other mod gets done, do youself a favor and install the FG2s. Without a doubt the best mod I have done to my V. More harsh, no. Dramatically.....DRAMATICALLY improved high-speed stability, YES!!!!!!!
how much are the qa1's and how much are the fg2's?
 

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
About the same cost...1200ish..plus/minus. I believe TPIS has the QA1s, or you could just contact QA1. And yes, you could run the Eibachs without issue.
-ace
 

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
ace996 said:
About the same cost...1200ish..plus/minus. I believe TPIS has the QA1s, or you could just contact QA1. And yes, you could run the Eibachs without issue.
-ace
True, the Eibachs can be used w/ the FG2s, but the car won't drop......you need the QA1s for that. There are multiple threads discussing this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,496 Posts
BowenCT said:
True, the Eibachs can be used w/ the FG2s, but the car won't drop......you need the QA1s for that. There are multiple threads discussing this.
BowenCT -

Correct, there are multiple threads.

Your analysis is incorrect though:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/lowercts/index.html

Many, many V's have been lowered while retaining the FE4/FG2 Nivomat shocks with the simple mod outlined above.

Just trying to keep the facts straight.

Great writeup CaliCadi!

WW
 

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
wildwhl said:
BowenCT -
Correct, there are multiple threads.
Your analysis is incorrect though:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/lowercts/index.html
Many, many V's have been lowered while retaining the FE4/FG2 Nivomat shocks with the simple mod outlined above.
I knew that too. In fact I have a set of your spacers, thanks again. I guess I was just replying off the cuff and answering as if he were going to install Eibachs with unmodified shocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,496 Posts
:grouphug: No prob, BowenCT.

I just didn't want to see another V owner run the sport shocks :banghead: when the FG2's are so much better :yup:

The QA1's are probably pretty damn sweet though...but I'll keep the setup I have now. Too much practice swapping out different sets of shocks and settings - really don't want to do it again :cookoo:

Of course, if someone wanted to buy me some :alchi: to help them :D
 

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
lawfive said:
Sounds sweet. I don't want to hijack, but... does anybody have experience with only the Hotchkis bars and the regular FE4 shocks? I don't want a harsher ride, but I would like to have less lean if I could get it.
lawfive said:
I also have no plans to track the car anytime soon... maybe after a stronger differential is available.
They why?:thepan:
thebigjimsho said:
law, you've got 482whp and you're still a wuss.:bouncy:
I put them on mine, it stiffenend the lean up quite a bit. Ride abit more rigid but not too bad. Would be worse on the 5.

It also makes the steering more sensitive. Me likey.
 

·
Registered
CTS-V
Joined
·
206 Posts
lawfive said:
Sounds sweet. I don't want to hijack, but... does anybody have experience with only the Hotchkis bars and the regular FE4 shocks? I don't want a harsher ride, but I would like to have less lean if I could get it.
I have the sway bars with the regular FE4 shocks and the improvement is much better than before. I had a chance to test them on the track and was very pleased. Definitely worth the price.
 

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
Joined
·
12,007 Posts
Thanks for the info, bros.

Too lazy to search... the Hotchkis price? The install difficulty, and can it be done with only jackstands?
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top