Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me the biggest advance in car safety came with use of disc brakes on cars which became widely available in the mid-sixties. Before disc brakes the drum brakes used on most of the cars of the time were erratic, required high maintainence and were very prone to lock up under emergency situations. Not to mention the considering improvement in manageable braking power available with disc brakes.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
I was watching this thing on Discovery about GM's cold testing and stuff. They drove the car so 2 tires were on ice and 2 weren't. When they slammed on the brakes with ABS and Stab. on, the car stopped fine. But when they turned those aids off the car just spun out and would have been in an accident had it happened on a road. It was pretty cool to see that.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Jesda, I'd have to agree with seat belts ....... and air bags too. I put seat belts in my '58 Jag XK 150 drophead, back in the early sixties, and they probably save my uncle's and my life during a collision that totalled the car. Especially considering the Jag was hit quarter head on by a 1955 Plymouth! Thank God for the seat belts and the massive frame in the Jag ..... and ofcourse a lot of good luck!

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
My vote is for seatbelts WITH shoulder restraint, with anti-lock brakes being a very close second.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,112 Posts
I'm not sure which to rank as the "biggest advance", but Stabilitrac is amazing. Coupled with ABS it has to rank right up there.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
The Posi-traction rear end. :yup:

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
This:

Seriously, studies have found that cars with more power get into fewer accidents because they have the capability to just use raw muscle to get out of a bad situation.

Of course it all depends on the driver, if you don't realize how much power to use and exactly when to use it it can't help you. But then again any safety enhancement only supplements the driver's ability. If you run into a Mac truck at 85, having 30 airbags won't help.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
I have a good 6 feet of solid steel, fully boxed frame in front of me as well as a giant ass iron block engine. The only thing taking me down is a truck. :D

In all reality though, it is hard to make one single choice. There have been so many advancements over the years that all contribute in their own way. Seatbelts, ABS, disc brakes, SRS airbags are all great but you also have to remember crumple zones, collapsible steering columns, padded dashboards, inertia locking seatbelts and many others.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
I have a good 6 feet of solid steel, fully boxed frame in front of me as well as a giant ass iron block engine. The only thing taking me down is a truck. :D
Mass is king in a wreck, but I wouldn't consider it an advancement in safety. A 1951 Fleetwood is just as massive. That being said, if I had a teenage son/daughter, they would be driving a huge car like this and not some little Honda shitbox.

Seat belts would be my #1 choice for greatest invention for safety. #2 would be steel belted radial tires. These allowed for much improved handling and braking, thus a greater chance of avoiding collisions.

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham V4P
437 Posts
I disagree on the airbags - I personally am not a fan of them.

On the other hand I love ABS - it gets you out of trouble when you've overstepped your braking threshold, and the redistribution of braking power in low traction situations is pretty nice too.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts

In all reality though, it is hard to make one single choice. There have been so many advancements over the years that all contribute in their own way. Seatbelts, ABS, disc brakes, SRS airbags are all great but you also have to remember crumple zones, collapsible steering columns, padded dashboards, inertia locking seatbelts and many others.
By truck you must mean semi. I don't crumple zones, because that totally ****s your car.

I disagree on the airbags - I personally am not a fan of them.

On the other hand I love ABS - it gets you out of trouble when you've overstepped your braking threshold, and the redistribution of braking power in low traction situations is pretty nice too.
Yeah, airbags can do more damage than good if you're small (which luckily I'm not)

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
By truck you must mean semi. I don't crumple zones, because that totally ****s your car.
Not just semis, most trucks. If someone in an Excursion decides to plow into me, I am pretty sure he will win.

Crumple zones may screw your car over, but they can also save your life.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
True, but sometimes they crumple TOO easily. Ah, most new trucks...but in a battle between most half tons up until like 2000 I think it'd be a good battle.

·
Registered
1988 Allante, 1999 Deville Concours
1,227 Posts
I was thinking about nominating crumble zones - they transfer energy during a crash to other, inanimate objects as opposed to your internal organs. Leaving the car cosmetically worse but you (hopefully) mechanically OK.

Safety glass was a good idea, too.

I think I'd have to go with the majority and say seat belts, though. Keeping you from becoming a human projectile since their invention.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts