Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read the new Hot Rod magazine and a very interesting article about the six speed automatic in the STS-V and XLR-V.

Seems as though the transmission will PROBABLY be made available as a "crate" part for retrofit.

Ok, so who is gonna be the first one to put one in a CTS-V?

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
and this is supposed to "just fit" right on in? remember the STS has a larger wheelbase and therefore can fit more stuff btwn the engine and rear axle.

Who wants to do major (structrally unsound) surgery for an auto? If so you could have done this long ago.

No news here, move along folks....lol

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong I know you will... Thanks to CVP didn't we all figure out that the person who wants a CTS-V want it for the muscle car approach and feel. Just get a STS-V if you want to automatic trannie. :want: :sneaky:

·
Registered
191 Posts
The V wouldnt be the same with an auto, thats what makes it different to
the E55 boys, the only reason I got it was because of the stick. IF that the case,
ahahnu is right get an sts.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
ahahnu said:
Correct me if I'm wrong I know you will... Thanks to CVP didn't we all figure out that the person who wants a CTS-V want it for the muscle car approach and feel. Just get a STS-V if you want to automatic trannie. :want: :sneaky:
:yeah: AGREED!!!

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,192 Posts
It would be a tough job to get the new 6spd auto in the CTS-V. The next gen V will probably offer one because I'm almost 100% certain that the next CTS will get a 6spd auto, and it's already approved for use with the LS2.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The stick was also a major selling point for me. I came from a stick Explorer Sport that I got for HS graduation because my thinking was that once I can drive stick really well on the Explorer I will be able to afford either a Porsche or another sports car. Incidentally a deal came up on a V that I could not refuse, so here I am. I also agree with the above comments; the CTS-V would not be the same with an auto tranny, get the STS-V instead if you want this (or a used E55 for that matter).

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,189 Posts
The limited color choice and no Auto held me off buying one of these for a long time.

So I got Black and a stick anyway.

NO WAY WOULD I PUT IN AN AUTOMATIC. If I could buy it factory that way I would've. I have bad knees so cold weather clutching sucks, good thing I'm in So. Cal. This stick is so much fun it's worth a little pain.

·
Registered
CTS-V
874 Posts
A while back there was a shop in the Detroit area selling a T56 out of a V on ebay. I don't know for sure but it looked like someone was having a V converted to an auto and the "left over" T56 is what they were selling. I was never actually able to confirm this but the outfit selling the tranny seemed to do quite a few of these types of retrofits according to their website. I can't remember the name of the company because I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to have an auto rather than a stick in this car.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Its better to have an auto for drag racing, and better if you have a supercharger and turbo. If it can hold up to 469HP in a heavier car, it can easily hold up to an LS2 and less weight, its just that the current desighn of the V's tunnel probably will not allow it.

Be cool to have both and have one as the drag race addition, and the other as the twistie version.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
I really can't say much about the next generation V getting an auto, as that is probably what its going to take for GM to sell enough of these for the aftermarket to start addressing anything but the motor. On the other hand, I have a little too much to say about putting an automatic tranny in a current V, and none of it is really appropriate or respectful...so I'll make this as brief as I can....
If I ever saw a retrofitted auto in a current V, either parked or at a gas station, I'd not have the control to not give the current owner a very verbal and expressive insult..enough so that I'd hope the guy'd initiate physical contact and then take advantage of the situation to break the right arm that should be used to shift the transmission that was initially installed. I'm sorry to come accross sounding so ridiculous and juvenile, but there is just so much someone can take. I've dealt with the drag-posts, the high-speed roll-on posts, the "how can we make too much power for our drivetrain" posts, but this post takes the cake. Putting an auto tranny in the V is just blasphemy. It is a track-bred Euro-killing sedan that I can finally thank GM for growing a set of balls and making the Killer-American sedan that we should have had for eons. If an automatic tranny is needed so badly, then the V is not the appropriate vehicle. Some things are sacred and shouldn't be fuhked with...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V SOLD /// 2009 CTS-V own
1,036 Posts
ace996 said:
I really can't say much about the next generation V getting an auto, as that is probably what its going to take for GM to sell enough of these for the aftermarket to start addressing anything but the motor. On the other hand, I have a little too much to say about putting an automatic tranny in a current V, and none of it is really appropriate or respectful...so I'll make this as brief as I can....
If I ever saw a retrofitted auto in a current V, either parked or at a gas station, I'd not have the control to not give the current owner a very verbal and expressive insult..enough so that I'd hope the guy'd initiate physical contact and then take advantage of the situation to break the right arm that should be used to shift the transmission that was initially installed. I'm sorry to come accross sounding so ridiculous and juvenile, but there is just so much someone can take. I've dealt with the drag-posts, the high-speed roll-on posts, the "how can we make too much power for our drivetrain" posts, but this post takes the cake. Putting an auto tranny in the V is just blasphemy. It is a track-bred Euro-killing sedan that I can finally thank GM for growing a set of balls and making the Killer-American sedan that we should have had for eons. If an automatic tranny is needed so badly, then the V is not the appropriate vehicle. Some things are sacred and shouldn't be fuhked with...
Sounds about right on the Automatic in a V...:gun: :cop: :hitstick:
But the drag racing thing, come on...:cookoo: lol The V will be fine for drag racing after it gets a better (stronger) Diff. Hell I like going fast and taking corners to, but I also like to run down the 1320 as quick as I can with what ever I drive..:yup: BliTzer has already run in the 11's in the 1/4 mile with his V,:worship: not bad for a track-bred Euro-killing sedan...:shocked2:
Just my opinion brother so don't take it to heart, I know how much you hate people running these cars down the 1/4 mile... but if it can't do it with out breaking it is not worthy of any titles like "Killer-American sedan" in my opinion anyway.. She is close, but not quite there yet.. I hope in time she will be though... Flame on if you must..
But I have to ask you because I will never understand people saying it isn't a 1/4 mile car... Why because she is weak and breaks at the track and shows people that she is not the perfect car you want or think it to be?????:shhh:
Next you will be telling me that cafe motorcycles don't belong racing in the 1/4 mile either... Every vehicle can be measured how great it is by a number of tests, Road courses, top speed, breaking, and "yes" the 1/4 mile will always be one of them to....:cheers:

Bill

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
heavymetals said:
I didn't mean to start a flame on about auto transmissions.:thepan:

The article I read had some real interesting stuff.

The idea that the transmission will/might be avialable in a "crate" version for "retrofitting" got my attention.
No problem here brother, I won't brake your arm if we meet up..lol Everyone has their own tastes, I personally love the 6-speed in this car. I would like to see someone do a nice Ford nine" rear narrowed just a bit with some mini-tubs... But I am sure a few would run me over in the street if they ever seen me for thinking such a thing.. God damn, it's blasphemy all over again... Watch how quickly they forget you even mentioned an automatic a flame me for my thoughts....:cheers:

Bill

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
HD, no issues man...many a drivetrain has been improved by the strip-fiends, I just see the V as "better" than the strip, that's all.
It's the autotranny re-fit thing that really got me. I thought the idea of using nitrous on the V was the worst thing I've ever heard...not anymore.
No offense meant to anyone personally, sometimes I express my thoughts with passion...sometimes a little more than that.

And bikes, well...the cafe bikes can do what they can...heck, if you find a good deal on a XLCR please let me know. I love the tank/seat on that bike.

Be good,
ace996

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
ace996,

I understand your passion with the V, all is good my friend..:thumbsup: :cheers:

Oh and the XLCR, I agree would be a great collectible Harley to own. I will keep my eyes open for you...Us... haha:thumbsup:

Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts