Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2006 DTS
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 06 DTS I have the leveling compressor. I was wondering exactly where it's located I believe it would be underneath the rear end but my car is too low for me just to crawl under and look. Also I was wondering how many people have changed out the filter on theirs? I presume it's never been done since it was bought and I like to get ahead of things and budget for them. Not exactly sure how important it is to swap it out but I would like everybody's two cents (7 cents with inflation) as it was posted to me before which I got a kick out of., 馃槀 Thank you in advance.

Super Moderator
2010 DTS
It's tucked up behind the RR quarter panel, next to the muffler.
Not sure if there is a filter. I can't recall anyone ever talking about changing one.

Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
Different models and different year groups had different ELC filter/dryer installs. What follows is generic and may apply to pre-2006.

There's a desiccant filter/dryer attached to the side of the compressor. It's supposed to dry the intake air to prevent snot formation and subsequent compressor/control head failure - it is replaceable. When the system vents off air the action is supposed to purge the desiccant of moisture. Maybe.

Same silica gel that comes packed in all your Chinese electronics packaging - "do not eat".

#11 -0

Product Organism Font Auto part Diagram

Registered
2006 DTS
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I appreciate that. I just came across the filter while looking through GM parts direct and wonder if anybody service theirs by replacing it or not or if it's not needed per se. I know from being a part of forums throughout time and speaking to people individually throughout life something that they don't service is swapping out the rear differential fluid. So I didn't know if this is one of those things people just didn't do or if it was one of those things you really didn't need to do.

Administrator
It should be replaced every 7 or 8 years but no one does and that's a major cause of ELC compressor and/or solenoid control head failure. Try www.gmpartsgiant.com, www.gmpartsdirect.com, or Suncore. Stay away from Arnott.

You'll never find it in the parts store service manuals or in the mileage maintenance charts. Only info is in the GM/Cadillac/Helm service manuals.

It fits into 10, 7, 6, 1 and is best done with the car up on a hoist, fenderwell liner out.

Of course you do the ELC preload after re-installing the dryer and compressor -

Automatic Level Control Air Dryer Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the air compressor assembly with the bracket from the vehicle.

1. Rotate the spring clip 90 degrees out of the slot.
  2. Remove the air dryer from the air compressor assembly.
  3. Remove the seal from the air compressor.
Installation Procedure

Important:

• Before driving the vehicle, turn the ignition on and wait approximately 45 seconds. This will permit the ELC system to execute the ARC, ensuring that the air adjustable shock absorbers are filled with residual pressure.
  • Lubricate the seal with silicone lubricant.
  • The spring clip must not be in the slots of the air compressor.

1. Install a new seal onto the air dryer.
  2. Install the air dryer with the seal in the air compressor.
  3. Rotate the spring clip 90 degrees to lock the air dryer in place.

Administrator
Kicker is, any time you compress air you get elevated humidity and condensation in the compressed air - same reason why shop compressor systems have filters and dryers attached.

Even my little Porter-Cable pancake compressor creates a lot of condensation that must be drained off occasionally. Small petcock in the tank bottom.

Here in eastern Maryland right now it's cloudy and spitty, 66 degrees. The outdoor humidity is 93%.

Reactions: Omac
1 - 13 of 13 Posts