Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2000 STS
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I realize this has probably been covered but I couldn't seem to find any info on it, so sorry in advance if it has been covered.

When I have the auto headlights set to on they will always be on even during the most bright and sunny days. Does anyone know how to fix this without turning the auto feature off and having to clear out the 'headlights suggested' msg that will come on?

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac Seville STS 73k Miles, '90 Chevy 1500 Reg Cab
725 Posts
First put your make/model into your user preferences so that its easier to help you out in the future. There should be a twighlight sensor in the dash, in front of the steering wheel, on the left hand side of the air vent. Get some cue-tips and bend them over to clean out any accumlated dust/debris/detailing solution that has built up over time and see if that helps out.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
Make sure the wiper switch isn't on. The Rainsense wipers automatically turn the headlights on if they are on...rain or no rain.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Do you have a dash cover on the dash??? if the hole is not cut out to allow light they will be on every time car is on. If not, either a dirty sensor or it fell into the dash.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,483 Posts
Chaz......Sort of the same with the common problem of "no trunk release, no fuel door release....." Valet switch in the glove box.

The darn Rainsense will trick you every time.......Top to bottom: High speed, Low speed, Interval/Rainsense, OFF, one wipe. The Rainsense has also been the subject of "Why do I always get the "Headlamps Recommended" message ?

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
Besides ensuring that the rainsense wipers are off and the sensor is clean, make sure that the sensor bracket is secure.

Check the bracket by pressing lightly on the sun angle/intensity sensors (the black hemispheres at each side of the defroster grid). They should not push down--if they do one side of the bracket is loose and the headlight sensor on the driver side will drop too far down and not sense daylight properly.

When I got mine (used) I thought, "What a good job--they even spring loaded the sun load sensors so they can't get damaged if they get knocked when you're cleaning the windshield." Nope, and 'til I replaced the defrost grille the headlights came on in all the the brightest sun.

·
Registered
2003 Seville STS
8 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it happened to me today.
I could not figure out why the headlights kept coming on. I knew it wasn't the sensor in the dash, because the instrument cluster doesn't dim when this happens.

I decided to check the manual and sure enough, on page 3-10: "Your vehicle is equipped with wiper-activated headlamps."

Clear case of RTFM, I feel like an idiot :)

Tommy

·
Administrator
69,483 Posts
Also, your car has DRL (in Europe ???) that can be de-activated by removing Fuse 24 in the underhood box - this affects nothing else.

There are a few other, more recent, threads asking why headlamps come on during the day.

As you posted, when all else fails, read the owner's manual.

·
Administrator
69,483 Posts
Thanks for the information - It's an unnecessary waste of bulbs and electricity anyway. I disabled mine two days after buying the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts