Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 30 minutes is spent interviewing Tony Roma, Cadillac's Chief engineer for the ATS & CTS. He discusses development of the ATS-V, answers some of the questions we throw around here on the forum and provides a few more previously unknown details on the ATS-V (and some on the CTS-V).
Not the most dynamic speaker, but if you listen closely you may pick up a few more tidbits than have been brought out before. Takes about 2 minutes in before they get to him.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
^^^Said it before, one of the most terrible new gimmicks car makers have come up with in recent years.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
between the textile wheel liners, laminated glass, triple door seals, active noise cancelation, quiet steel and other sound deadening techniques.....pulling the fuse, if possible, will leave you with a dead sounding quiet car

if Audi, BMW, and now Cadillac are using some of these techniques, it stands to reason the armies of engineers at 3 separate companies have come across something that is compelling them to develop solutions that are being dismissed by some armchair quarterbacking

is it possible the Manufacturers know something we don't.....something like dead silent cars don't sell, or too loud exhaust full time is tiresome, and causes unsatisfied customers....and that these audio tricks might be a way to give something to enthusiasts without hurting other aspects of the car

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
...and that these audio tricks might be a way to give something to enthusiasts without hurting other aspects of the car
Everything you said above makes perfect sense in a detached engineering minded way.
However I'd dare say a poll of auto enthusiasts would likely reject "manufactured" engine sounds in place of hearing what the car actually sounds like. Even if that means adding an aftermarket exhaust (like many of us have), turning down the radio, or opening the window.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
between the textile wheel liners, laminated glass, triple door seals, active noise cancelation, quiet steel and other sound deadening techniques.....pulling the fuse, if possible, will leave you with a dead sounding quiet car

if Audi, BMW, and now Cadillac are using some of these techniques, it stands to reason the armies of engineers at 3 separate companies have come across something that is compelling them to develop solutions that are being dismissed by some armchair quarterbacking

is it possible the Manufacturers know something we don't.....something like dead silent cars don't sell, or too loud exhaust full time is tiresome, and causes unsatisfied customers....and that these audio tricks might be a way to give something to enthusiasts without hurting other aspects of the car
X2 - I would go as far as to say this is one of the greatest technologies implemented recently. Quiet when you want it, sound when you want it.

Also, to be clear, Cadillac is using REAL sounds picked up by microphones piped back in, it's BMW who is using a fake pre-recorded soundtrack

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
X2 - I would go as far as to say this is one of the greatest technologies implemented recently. Quiet when you want it, sound when you want it.

Also, to be clear, Cadillac is using REAL sounds picked up by microphones piped back in, it's BMW who is using a fake pre-recorded soundtrack
exactly!!...if in this brave new world we are going to get this Cadillacs implementation is the best.....essentially a high tech back door through the sound deadening

interestingly it's my understanding (i vaguely remember reading this ages ago) the last mustang had a small pipe or device that went into the cabin through the firewall for the same reason...this low tech solution reminds me of the joke about the space pen where NASA spent a million dollars to develop and the Soviets just used pencils

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
550 Posts
Porsche and others use the "tube" also.

... And the pencil is not a solution for space, the carbon creates major problems...

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Porsche and others use the "tube" also.

... And the pencil is not a solution for space, the carbon creates major problems...
ok...as an FYI ...the pencil thing is not from me...in essence i said BMW/Cadillac high tech in cabin sound vs. Fords low tech in cabin sound solution reminded me of a joke from the 60's before i was born,lol....so i am not the one to nit pick about the material composition of soviet era cosmonaught pencil "lead" .....for that, my friend, you need to find either the source of that joke or and old Cosmonaught :)

----------

and thanks for the heads up on Porsche, i did not know that :highfive:

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
ok...as an FYI ...the pencil thing is not from me...in essence i said BMW/Cadillac high tech in cabin sound vs. Fords low tech in cabin sound solution reminded me of a joke from the 60's before i was born....so i am not the one to nit pick about the material composition of soviet era cosmonaught pencil "lead" .....for that, my friend, you need to find either the source of that joke or and old Cosmonaught :)
It's actually spelled cosmonaut. I have been around since the 1960's, when people had a sense of humor! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts